Tax Credit Casualties Forum
Tax Credit Casualties Forum
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Tax Credit Overpayments
 Questions, Answers and Cases
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Alan the Geordie

3032 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  14:19:30  Show Profile Send Alan the Geordie a Private Message
Topic moved here by admin.

I am due to move in with my partner and I am currently claiming tax credits. Problem being is what will happen when I inform them of this change my new partner earns well over 50k and I understand I will have to pay overpayment but he aint happy about making a joint claim as he will then be expected to foot overpayment will he not ? I no longer will be claiming so how do I go about this too ? Just wondering if this is bad idea and should stay single after all. Any help on this one.

"The best way to take control over a people and control them utterly is to take a little of their freedom at a time, to erode rights by a thousand tiny and almost imperceptible reductions.

In this way the people will not see those rights and freedoms being removed until past the point at which these changes cannot be reversed."

Adolf Hitler

Google AdSense

Mountain View


341 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2010 :  21:39:07  Show Profile Send samthe a Private Message
1. Your single claim ends the day you move in together.

2. On that day, you ring TCO & tell them. Make sure you get the name of the person you speak to & keep a note of it, & the date & time of the call.

3. They should end the claim & send you an award notice showing this. If it doesn't turn up after about 2 weeks ring them again. When it does arrive make sure you check it & that it is correct. If it is not, ring them. Go on like this until you have a correct award. Check your bank statements to make sure they stop paying you. If you do go on getting payments keep the money on one side as you will need to pay it back.

4. If you do all the above you will very likely not have an overpayment. If you do it will be because the way they have paid you so far this tax year has resulted in them paying nmore than the correct pro rata amount. Yes, if there is an overpayment, you will have to pay it back.

5. The above assumes you do not have any overpayments from past years - if you do & you accept they are repayable then you will have to pay them back.

6. Your partner will not have any liability for your overpayments, whether you make a joint claim or not. However, if he is earning 50K+ any payment from a joint claim would be very small & would almost certainly stop next April when the upper limit is reduced (but this may depend on your own circumstances - number of children, income, child care costs etc.).

7. After April 2011 you will get an annual return for your single claim. You must complete it & send it back - even though the claim has been ended.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tax Credit Casualties Forum © 2005-10 Tax Credit Casualties Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2
Powered by ForumCo 2000-2008
TOS - AUP - URA - Privacy Policy