Tax Credit Casualties Forum
Tax Credit Casualties Forum
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Tax Credit Overpayments
 Questions, Answers and Cases
 help please-newbie. Ctc overpayment
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kelly wood
Rank; Hector Tax Inspector

1 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  19:13:29  Show Profile Send kelly wood a Private Message
I dont know where to start-im so upset over all this. When my only child was born in july 2005 i sent off for tax credits. Received payments fine in my bank for a few months then suddenly they stopped. When i rung the TCO they stated that my claim had 'fallen' off the system & they would set up manual payments to me while they try to restore me on the system. This went on for 2 years!! Received manual payments for a while then they would suddenly stop-ring tco & yet again my claim cant be 'restored' on the system for whatever reason. in 2006 i got a demand for a overpayment of 810 year ending apr 2006 (when i dont even think i received that amount anyway!). When i rung them up they reassured me to disregard this letter as it was generated by the computer automatically due to manual payments & me claim not being restored on system. I duly filled out a dispute form-never heard anymore so just assumed as it was a computer error i didnt have to worry. Then in 2009 i get another demand out of the blue for year ending apr 2007 for 2100. Again, i ring the TCO & they confirm yet again its a computer error due to manual payments etc so i fill out a dispute from for this & again hear nothing more. No this week out of the blue i receive a notice to pay from the Debt Management for 1496. Im confused so ring them & they state its for pverpaymet for year ending apr 2006. I then ring the TCO & the girl i spoke to couldnt even work out where this figure had come from as she still had the disputed amount of 810 on her system . I reiterated that we have never been overpaid its simply a computer glich & she said i had to fill out another dispute form. Im so upset as i have not done anything wrong & keep getting these demands out of the blue for money. I have sent the dispute from back (recorded delivery) and also a complaint letter detailing all my issues. Im so worried about this Debt letter-i have no faith in the TCO and im so worried nothing will be done again about my dispute form. Any advice as to what more i can do would be greatly appreciated. I cant sleep at night because of this.

Google AdSense

Mountain View


341 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2010 :  17:35:38  Show Profile Send samthe a Private Message
1. As you've sent a dispute form & letter by recorded delivery you are doing the right thing. I hope you kept a copy. In any case, ring them about 2 or 3 weeks after you sent it & ask them to confirm it is recorded on the system & when that was done. If it hasn't been recorded, ask how long it takes them to do this (you will know when they received it by checking the Post Office delivery online from your recorded delivery slip). If necessary - i.e. if they haven't got it on the system after what they say is a reasonable time - send yet another copy with another letter complaining about them losing it. Once you know it is recorded, keep chasing them for a reply.

2. As it is in dispute, nothing should be done about chasing you to pay anything back until the dispute is settled. Ring the Debt Management Office & tell them you have sent a dispute & ask them to put a hold on any action.

3. Do a SARN to get a copy of all your paperwork, screen prints & CD of all calls - see You must be logged in to see this link. Disputes section for details of how to do this. Hopefully, you will then have recordings of all your phone calls which can be very useful as proof of what you did.

4. Don't give up - this can be a long haul & very frustrating but ultimately (if necessary) you can take it to the Independent Adjudicator & even Parliamentary Ombudsman. If you haven't got it, look at COP26 (overpayments recovery booklet) on HMRC website, or ask TCO to send you a copy.

5. If you want help with this, go to your local CAB or contact Taxaid or Litrg.
Go to Top of Page

Alan the Geordie

3032 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  01:12:44  Show Profile Send Alan the Geordie a Private Message
I would also suggest that you get a face-to face meeting with your MP and seriously consider getting the media involved.

"The best way to take control over a people and control them utterly is to take a little of their freedom at a time, to erode rights by a thousand tiny and almost imperceptible reductions.

In this way the people will not see those rights and freedoms being removed until past the point at which these changes cannot be reversed."

Adolf Hitler
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tax Credit Casualties Forum © 2005-10 Tax Credit Casualties Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2
Powered by ForumCo 2000-2008
TOS - AUP - URA - Privacy Policy