Tax Credit Casualties Forum
Tax Credit Casualties Forum
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 New Members Cases
 Phone call asking for payment
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rank; Hector Tax Inspector

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2010 :  15:20:26  Show Profile Send Salamander a Private Message
Hi, don't know if anyone can help me. I had this afternoon received a phone call from tax credits saying that I owed them 464.46. I knew vaguely what this was from as it stated in one of my previous awards that despite me informing them of changes to my circumstances they were not going to change the amount of money I was receiving and that it would be asked for at a later date or something. Anyway, I said I couldn't afford to pay the whole amount she was asking for but paid 100 (nearly the whole of my income support money I had just been paid for this fortnight) and she said that I needed to tell her when I could pay the rest.

She then went on to say that I also owed 374.77 from when me and my ex husband were together 3 years ago, and then a further 202.27 from my first partner who I split up with in 2003.

I said there was no way I could pay nearly 1000 as I am on income support (my partner is on long term sick and we are currently applying for DLA) and she said that my ex's are liable for half of the amounts we owed as a couple. I explained that she'd be lucky if she managed to get any money out of my ex's, one of whom has been declared bankrupt recently and the other one who owes me thousands from a marital loan...anyway, drifting off the point

She gave me a number to ring for tax credits helpline and said I need to let er know by 8pm tomorrow how I intend to pay this money or it'll be taken to court.

First of all, how can she try and get money off me from nearly 3 years ago and nearly 7 years ago, and secondly, as me and my partner are on income support, is there any way I can have the amount outstanding reduced or written off? OR just any help and guidance would be appreciated

Google AdSense

Mountain View

Rank; Really should become a politician

730 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2010 :  19:34:26  Show Profile Send splashin a Private Message
Hi Salamander

Welcome to our forum. It's absolutely shocking how HMRC are bullying claimants and threatening with court action. Where the hell do they expect us to pull these wedges from in such short notice? I know if the demand had been made to me, I would not have any spare cash, until, not this month, but next months pay day.

Anyway back to your post and about the call you have to make tomorrow. If I were you, I would make the call around 7-7.30pm to the helpline and give them your intentions to pay 4.18 per week. Tell them you have worked out your household budget and this amount is what you can afford to repay out of your income support. I have got this amount by calculating your 3 overpayment's together, minus 100 divided by 156. It would take you 3 years to repay at this amount. State, until your current circumstances change this amount is the most you can afford. They will obviously turn this amount down and expect a larger repayment amount over a shorter timespan. DO NOT BUDGE ON WHAT YOU ORIGINALLY SAID. They will most probably send out a budgeting form for you to complete too show your outgoings. I am sure you can use up your benefit quite quickly, leaving only a small amount left. This small amount left over, is what you are going to pay HMRC with so make sure your 'small amount left over' is no more than 15 per week on the budgeting form.
There are 3 different overpayment's HMRC are saying you owe. One you recall being mentioned on an award notice, for 464.46. The others are from periods with partners, who are also 50% responsible in repaying any monies due. So the latter 2 overpayment's motioned here, need to be divided in 2. So you owe 464.46 & 187.36 & 101.16 = 752.96 minus 100 (already paid) = 652.96.
Do you have an ongoing claim you have right now?

Go to Top of Page

Rank; Hector Tax Inspector

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2010 :  20:42:39  Show Profile Send Salamander a Private Message
"Do I have an ongoing claim"

Do you mean am I currently getting tax credits? If so then yes. If you mean have I done anything else about this, then no. If you mean about the DLA claim, then it's a half written form (they're long and complicated forms!!) If something else then I apologise I don't understand what you mean. I have been rifling through the past 4 years tax credits notices I have filed to try and figure out if there is anything I can figure out, though I really don't know what, if anything, I'm looking for! As a result my brain is slightly frazzled.

Oh, and thank you for your reply. I have already written down pretty much my income and outgoings and so far I have 73 per month left over, not taking into account getting the kids clothes or shoes etc, and I've been going back through my bank statements to try and see accurately just how much we spend on petrol (more then usual recently as my partner has regular trips to the hospital for his disability - not to mention the rising costs of petrol) I also think I may have underestimated how much I spend on shopping per week, as I didn't take into account things like nappies and formula milk, which I don't tend to buy at the same time as everything else.

This has really got me down. I've spent the last 9 months or so since I had my baby, and time before that trying to get rid of all these outstanding debts I had so I knew what was coming out of my bank and when, and so that there were no nasty surprises like this...i always seems that just as soon as I get on my feet something else comes along...
Go to Top of Page


298 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2010 :  21:01:29  Show Profile Send missfroy2 a Private Message
If you are on a meanstested benefit like Income Support then I would think even 4 is too much of an offer. What Debt Management should do is suspend recovery and review it next year to see if your position has changed, if there is no likelihood of change long term then it should be written off for hardship.

I would advise that you speak to an agency like Litrg, Taxaid or CAB and ask them to negotiate on your behalf. DM have guidance for situations like this and it sounds like the person you spoke to has not operated by it. Certainly the 100 should not have been taken if you could not adequately afford it.

Please get some advice.

Go to Top of Page

Rank; Hector Tax Inspector

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2010 :  21:43:36  Show Profile Send Salamander a Private Message
Thank you very much for your help, I shall try Litrg, Taxaid or CAB (if I can get hold of them I know what they're like!) in the daytime and if all else fails I'll phone them up and ask them to send out a income and outgoings form! I just don't understand why when yo inform them within a couple of days of any change why they still insist in overpaying, and why they make their forms so so complicated so no one actually understands how or why they come up with the figures they provide
Go to Top of Page

Alan the Geordie

3032 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  01:11:41  Show Profile Send Alan the Geordie a Private Message
<< I just don't understand why when yo inform them within a couple of days of any change why they still insist in overpaying, and why they make their forms so so complicated so no one actually understands how or why they come up with the figures they provide >>

Write to Gordon Brown and ask him. He designed the bloody system, so he should know the answer!!

I'm betting you won't even get an acknowledgement from him - never mind a reply - but at least you'll have the satisfaction of knowing that you tried to get an answer from the great man but instead you showed him up for the spineless, gutless coward that he is!!


"The best way to take control over a people and control them utterly is to take a little of their freedom at a time, to erode rights by a thousand tiny and almost imperceptible reductions.

In this way the people will not see those rights and freedoms being removed until past the point at which these changes cannot be reversed."

Adolf Hitler
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tax Credit Casualties Forum © 2005-10 Tax Credit Casualties Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2
Powered by ForumCo 2000-2008
TOS - AUP - URA - Privacy Policy