Tax Credit Casualties Forum
Tax Credit Casualties Forum
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Archive
 Campaigning Section
 Gord visiting locally
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

auntieh
Rank; Really should become a politician

United Kingdom
625 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2008 :  21:28:05  Show Profile Send auntieh a Private Message
Just heard that Gordon Brownnose is visiting Watford this weekend hosting a conference at a local luxury hotel with amongst others Bill Clinton in attendance.

Now I'm just off to find my banner ready to stage my protest! It will be peaceful I promise!

"You can dress a pig in a suit but you can't stop it grunting"

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

Alan the Geordie
Admin

3032 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2008 :  22:47:17  Show Profile Send Alan the Geordie a Private Message
>>Now I'm just off to find my banner ready to stage my protest! It will be peaceful I promise!<<

Peaceful my a rse.

Hoy some rotten eggs at the b ugger!!

Apathy rules OK - so why do I bother?
Go to Top of Page

Ali M-W
Mod

3558 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2008 :  08:06:49  Show Profile Send Ali M-W a Private Message
AuntieH, sounds as though you need to give Paula a ring, and you will be bannered and brochured up to the nines ready for the weekend. There are quite a few Casualties in the London area, and you could always contact your local rag and ask them to send a photographer and reporter ready for delivering a question on tax credits to Brown. Here's some suggestions:

1. In June 07 TCC raised with HMRC issues around threats of court action being sent to claimants who were in the middle of disputing recovery, HMRC promised to look into this and the evidence provided by TCC as they stated their policy was that court action was only threatened if claimants stopped communicating with HMRC – has this been looked into and what were the outcomes? Why wasn’t TCC informed of the outcomes?

2. How much does it cost HMRC to progress an overpayment from the issue of the first notice through to the Ombudsman including staff time?

3. Why does HMRC not use TCC for consultation?

4. As HMRC did not record all phone calls or save all recordings they now accept that lack of a recording does not mean a phone call did not take place, why is this same logic not applied to letters that HMRC are unable to find?

Good luck! It doesn't have to be a mega-presence at such short notice, but I am sure a few representatives could be present...

Morpheus: … as long as there is a single breath in his body he'll never give up… and neither can we.
Go to Top of Page

auntieh

United Kingdom
625 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2008 :  20:15:58  Show Profile Send auntieh a Private Message
Hi Ali

Unfortunately I'm not in Watford this weekend, which is very annoying. I only go away a couple of times a year and this has been arranged for ages. Maybe Gordon knew this! I'm all for anyone around having a go at approaching Gordon. The difficulty will be that security will be extremely tight - probably inpenetrable. There was a conference for EU heads hosted at this luxury hotel a couple of years ago, I think again by Gordon when he was chancellor and it was impossible to get anywhere near the place. It is set in a rural area just out of town and all the local lanes were blocked off by police for the duration, much to the annoyance of locals who had no prior warning of all this.

However, if there is anyone who wants to have a try I am happy to talk to them beforehand to offer any information and support I can.

Auntie

"You can dress a pig in a suit but you can't stop it grunting"
Go to Top of Page

PJD
Admin

United Kingdom
281 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2008 :  20:21:43  Show Profile Send PJD a Private Message
hiya,

would be great if someone can get down there.

doorstepping him (i.e pushing into camera view along side him while shouting / or carrying visable campaign material) has worked a few times in the past.

it would be very tight to get anything posted to you in time, so how about a print out of the Gordon Brown overpayment bill (a3 size if you canget it done up)or one of our other images.

i could send you the mp3 of some of our campaign songs too play on a phone or other device that plays out loud.

i could send you the transfer design to get a t shirt printed if you can get to a whsmiths or tesco to buy the tranfers and white t shirt needed too.
Go to Top of Page

sammy

690 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2008 :  20:45:25  Show Profile Send sammy a Private Message
Gordon Brown and Bill Clinton? One a sucker and the a other suckee...I did not have sex with that tax credit casualty...err...**** off !..and while wer'e at it, bollox to em, I'll scrap the 10p tax rate for low earners, that way they can claim wftc and we will claim it back later..we can't lose! (the brits are surely blind Bill -;))

Yeah well done Gord!

Edited by - sammy on 02/04/2008 20:51:58
Go to Top of Page

Ali M-W
Mod

3558 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2008 :  22:18:32  Show Profile Send Ali M-W a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by PJD

hiya,

would be great if someone can get down there.

doorstepping him (i.e pushing into camera view along side him while shouting / or carrying visable campaign material) has worked a few times in the past.

it would be very tight to get anything posted to you in time, so how about a print out of the Gordon Brown overpayment bill (a3 size if you canget it done up)or one of our other images.

i could send you the mp3 of some of our campaign songs too play on a phone or other device that plays out loud.

i could send you the transfer design to get a t shirt printed if you can get to a whsmiths or tesco to buy the tranfers and white t shirt needed too.

I'm wondering if the local Watford newspapers would facilitate some access to Brown if local TCC members were to get in touch? The News was keen to doorstop Primarolo when she was in Portsmouth on our behalf, although she appeared to flee from the venue petrified...

Morpheus: … as long as there is a single breath in his body he'll never give up… and neither can we.
Go to Top of Page

Ali M-W
Mod

3558 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2008 :  22:19:55  Show Profile Send Ali M-W a Private Message
Imagine a Gordon Brown version of this:

Minister labelled aloof, evasive and elusive after snub

Dawn Primarolo

By Emily Pykett
Political Editor
A Labour minister has snubbed News readers by cancelling a press conference during a visit to the city.

Paymaster General Dawn Primarolo, pictured, spent two hours at Portsmouth Guildhall praising voluntary and community workers for their links with the council and other organisations.

And The News was asked along to highlight her launch of Portsmouth's Pathfinder report, which sets out a blueprint for how 500 local charities and support groups can help to offer public services.

But at the appointed time, Ms Primarolo – a Minister of State for HM Treasury paid £99,908 a year by taxpayers – stayed behind a closed door.

Meanwhile, a red-faced Westminster aide claimed she had 'suddenly run out of time' and told The News, and two radio stations, interviews could not be granted despite agreements made in advance.

A News reporter and photographer were then denied entry to a reception in the Lord Mayor's Banqueting Hall, a venue also paid for by ratepayers.

Here Ms Primarolo, who controls tax, customs, pensions and wages, addressed and mingled with people from groups like the Salvation Army, Age Concern and the Anglican Diocese of Portsmouth.

Portsmouth social worker Alison Myers-Ward said she was not surprised that Ms Primarolo avoided the press.

Her lobby group, Tax Credits Casualties, has been demanding to meet the Paymaster General over tax credit fiascos that have catapulted some parents into poverty.

'She is very aloof, evasive and elusive,' said Ms Myers-Ward.

'We tried to set up a meeting with her but got fobbed off. We have been abysmally treated.'

The mother of two was so incensed by Ms Primarolo's failure to respond that she has been inspired to pen spoof lyrics to the Tony Christie hit song, (Is This The Way To) Amarillo, entitled 'Is This The Way To Primarolo'.

A council spokesman said The News was barred from the reception because it was only for people wearing pre-arranged name tags, but insisted a full invitation had been issued.

A spokeswoman for Mrs Primarolo said there had been no formally organised press conference, but she had hoped to speak to some press including The News.

This had to be cancelled as meetings had overrun and she had a prior engagement elsewhere.

ALISON MYER-WARD'S ALTERNATE VERSION...

Show me the Way to Primarolo
Sha lala lala lalala, Sha lala lala lalala, Sha lala lala lalala,
Now the truth is dawning,
Tax credit bills arrive each morning,
Bills for overpayments,
Even though we're innocent claimants.
Ev'ry single city knows too clearly that
Threats and debts ain't pretty – what is she playing at?

Is this the way to Primarolo?
Or are we victims going it solo?
Dreaming dreams of Primarolo
Sorting the mess she's made for me.
Show us the way to Primarolo,
We ask to see her, she says, 'Oh no!'
Crying over Primarolo,
And the huge 'debt' that threatens me.

Sha lala lala lalala, Sha lala lala lalala,
Sha lala lala lalala, Primarolo hides from me.

The Ombudsman is saying,
There's no way we should be repaying,
Which is why she fears us –
Our Claimant Group that's coming to see her…
To put right this torture, we've a strong campaign,
And it keeps us going through the stress and pain.

Is this the way to Primarolo, or are we victims going it solo?
Dreaming dreams of Primarolo
Sorting the mess she's made for me.
Show us the way to Primarolo,
We ask to see her, she says, 'Oh no!'
Crying over Primarolo,
And the huge 'debt' that threatens me.

Sha lala lala lalala, Sha lala lala lalala,
Sha lala lala lalala, Primarolo hides from me

emily.pykett@thenews.co.uk

Last Updated: 25 January 2007 2:49 PM

You must be logged in to see this link.

Edited by - Ali M-W on 02/04/2008 22:22:45
Go to Top of Page

Ali M-W
Mod

3558 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2008 :  22:23:50  Show Profile Send Ali M-W a Private Message
I wonder if Brown can run any faster than Primarolo?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tax Credit Casualties Forum © 2005-10 Tax Credit Casualties Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2