Tax Credit Casualties Forum
Tax Credit Casualties Forum
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Archive
 New Members Cases
 Help! Got Until 29 October.
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Resurgam
Admin

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2007 :  15:58:48  Show Profile Send Resurgam a Private Message
Hi everyone. I’ve been threatened with enforcement proceedings from 29th October, and really, really don’t know what’s best to do next. Don’t know how to begin telling this, either – so maybe I should start at the beginning ……

My ex-wife and I claimed WTC from 2003. I won’t go into it too much here, but I was already severely depressed before our son was killed in the spring of 2004 and then our marriage broke up in the late summer. I was a bit of a mess, on lots of mind-numbing medication. Anyway, my ex-wife had dealt with everything to do with the WTC, which was paid into her personal bank account – and when we separated, I took my clothes and nothing else. So, I have no records at all – that’s what I’m trying to say. In the space of 18 months I moved house 4 times. After our separation, I had put in my own claim for WTC – and successfully stopped claiming that when I met the angel who saved my life. We moved together to a new place, for new beginnings, and I very slowly began to improve. Then, out of the blue, I received a demand from HMRC. I have copies of everything mentioned below, in PDF format, that I can e-mail if you want. This is what’s happened so far :

1. 16/02/06. Demand for £1540.31 for the period ending 05/04/04. No letter, just a “you owe” with a bank giro slip on the bottom. After several misleading and contradictory conversations with the helpline, someone eventually told me that it was because they hadn’t received a declaration of earnings from me for that period. Suggested I complete a TC846 and sent me one. No COP26 – no complaints procedure.

2. 15/04/06. Submitted my TC846, stating that the correct amount had been paid and I didn’t recall having received a declaration of earnings from them, but didn’t really know because of my mental state and everything that had happened.

3. 27/03/07. Demand for £1851.30 received. (Where’s the extra come from?)

4. 06/04/07. Sent a complaint letter to the overpayment unit. No reply has yet been received!

5. 03/05/07. Received a response to my TC846, stating that “when your 2003-2004 tax year award was finalised in July 2004, income had increased to £xxxxx, this recalculated your entitlement and caused the overpayment. The provisional payments made from April 2004 were based on the income of £xxxxx when income increased to £xxxxx the amount of tax credits paid exceeded your entitlement etc.”. The point is, I didn’t work from February to September 2004, when I put in my own WTC claim. Were they informed? I think so – but I don’t have any records, and I was nuts at the time!

6. 28/09/07. Demand for £1766.30 (another new amount) by 29/10/07, or they will begin enforcement proceedings.

Can you see my predicament? Apart from bringing back everything that I have tried to get over, I’ve done my best to make sure that my abusive and violent ex-wife doesn’t know where I am. Back on the serious anti-depressants, back to sleepless nights, tears and harmful thoughts. If it gets to a summons, they will print my address on the copy that goes to my ex-wife, and I couldn’t go to court anyway if she was going to be there. I still fear her.

And what about HMRC? Don’t know how much I “owe”, send every letter with a different reply address so you don’t know who to write to, change their reasons for “overpayment”, don’t respond to complaint letters, give you conflicting and confusing advice ….. etc., etc.

Do I ‘phone the imbeciles? Do I write? Letter or another TC846? What about? Who to?

Any help gratefully received. Thanks.

Edited by - Resurgam on 19/10/2007 16:05:18

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

Robert
Admin

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2007 :  16:13:24  Show Profile Send Robert a Private Message
Hi resurgam..

Go here. You must be logged in to see this link. it will tell you how to get any court proceedings stopped..also get a sarn request going, this will give you all paperwork and any recorded conversations, you have had with the TCO/HMRC..all the info you need in on the right hand side..

Answering complaints letters seems to be the norm from the HMRC.. i am still waiting for responses.from may..july..August..

Time to write more letters of complaint, about them not answering your original complaint... please send recorded delivery £1.04.. because, a lot of letters seem to get lost, in the HMRC.

More will be along to give advice..

The truth is out there.. GO get it......Non Illigitamus Carborundum

Go to Top of Page

Alan the Geordie
Admin

3032 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2007 :  17:31:32  Show Profile Send Alan the Geordie a Private Message
Hi resurgam.

I'm very sorry to hear about your troubles - most of which I can empathise with for I too have had some mental issues that have resulted in my being sectioned and zonked-out by some heavy-duty medication.

The good news is that I have survived and the better news is that I won my fight against the Tax Credit barstewards!

You can win too.

Follow Robert's advice (above) to get the proceedings stopped and get copies of your documents etc.

Get your local Citizens Advice Bureau involved and write to your MP too - you may be lucky and have a helpful one such as mine - Dave Anderson - but if your MP doesn't help, then you can complain about him/her and you'll know who NOT to vote for at the next election!

Get your GP to help you too. He/she knows how ill you have been and probably knows what a shambles the Tax Credit Fiasco is. He/she may even have other patients who are in the same boat as you and may be able to help by confirming that you have had problems and were not in a fit state of mind where you would know if your Tax Credit awards were in order or not.

One other thing that could help would be the media. Certainly the Mirror newspaper has run an article on the Tax Credit Fiasco, and there will be others too. HMRC do not like adverse publicity but I can well understand your reluctance to approach the media.

Get stuck in with the advice Robert has given you, go to the CAB, write to your MP and see your GP.

Regarding your letters of complaint that you have received no reply to; make complaints about that too! Bury them in complaints and then they'll never be able to say that you've never contacted them!

Stay in touch with us, we are your friends and we'll help and support you all we can.

"Broons aall roond f'th' lads an' divvent hoy yer liggies doon th' netty!!"
You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

Resurgam
Admin

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2007 :  18:30:27  Show Profile Send Resurgam a Private Message
Thanks, Robert and Alan. Starting to feel better already. Still a couple of queries, though – sorry, but I need some serious hand-holding here. No confidence. Here we go then :

At the moment, the only thing that may give any indication that I am still in dispute with them is my complaint letter. Here’s the letter :

“Dear Sir or Madam,
I was shocked and horrified to receive your letter (attachment 1) of 27th March 2007, demanding payment of allegedly overpaid Tax Credits to the sum of £1851.30, and to the fact that this matter had been passed on to your Debt Management section without proper investigation even though the “overpayment” was under dispute.
When I received your original demand, dated 16th February 2006 (attachment 2), I tried many times to contact your Helpline. Sometimes I was successful, and after being given misleading, evasive or wrong information numerous times, I eventually spoke to one of your operatives who informed me that the amount was considered outstanding because you had no record of receiving a “Declaration of Earnings” from me. He sent me a form TC846 to complete, which I did – eventually returning the form (attachment 3) to the Overpayments Dispute Team on 15th April 2006.
Your letter dated 27th March 2007 states in paragraph 1, quote, “….. despite previous requests for payment and attempts made to contact you.” In fact, I have had no communications from you whatsoever since before I returned my completed form CT846 almost a year ago. Not even an acknowledgement. I therefore believe that you will realise that it was not unreasonable for me to think that the matter had been dropped, and that this “outstanding overpayment” had been written off.
The original “Declaration of Earnings” form could have been lost in the postal system before I could receive it, or maybe lost after I had signed and returned it to you. There are many possible causes for why you have no record of receiving the form from me, but I still have no recollection of ever having received such a form from yourselves. Why was no attempt made to contact me at the time, so that the matter could be quickly resolved? Another copy could have been sent – yet the first I knew about it was from your Notice to Pay which was dated 16th February 2006, almost two years after the end of the period relating to the alleged overpayment.
Would you please inform me as to why the “outstanding” amount has risen from £1540.31 to £1851.30, and why have I had no previous notification that this amount had increased? Also, even though you know that this matter is under dispute, why I have not received any details of your complaint procedures? It seems that, in my case, the guidelines published by the Parliamentary Commissioner for Administration in her report “Tax Credits: Putting things Right” have been totally ignored. Please correct this, investigate the case – and write off this “outstanding overpayment”. The matter is causing me severe distress at a time when I am still recovering from a major nervous breakdown as well as fighting a constant battle with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I believe you paid me the correct amount of Tax Credit, and any repayment would cause me severe financial hardship.
Should I not receive any communication from you regarding this matter within 28 days, I will have no choice but to contact both the Parliamentary Ombudsman and my M.P. about the matter.”

I got their response to my TC846 (sent 13 months beforehand) exactly 28 days later. However, my TC846 only dealt with the declaration of earnings issue. Do the bits that they haven’t answered mean that I’m still in dispute with them, or should I write a new dispute TC846, or a letter to 2nd tier complaints? Will putting in a SARN request automatically flag to them that I am still in dispute?

What I’m really trying to say is what should I do to stop them beginning enforcement proceedings?

Edited by - Resurgam on 19/10/2007 18:50:29
Go to Top of Page

Alan the Geordie
Admin

3032 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2007 :  19:45:16  Show Profile Send Alan the Geordie a Private Message
Hello again Resurgam.

You write an excellent letter. I'm very impressed!

From what I've seen you have done nothing wrong and the problem - as usual - lies with the chimps at HMRC!

In your letter, you have threatened them with the Parliamentary Ombudsman and your MP. If you haven't already done so, I suggest that you do that now.

Also, again if you haven't already done so, visit our main site (Robert gave you the link but here it is again anyway; You must be logged in to see this link.)At the right-hand side of the pane you will see "Getting Court Cases Stopped". Click on it and follow the instructions. That should get stop them beginning enforcement proceedings.

See also "First things First" and follow those instructions - some of this stuff you have done already, but I think you should start your dispute again from scratch. While they are figuring that out they won't be hassling you - or shouldn't be!

It wouldn't do any harm to escalate your complaint to 2nd tier complaints either. Just make sure you write COMPLAINT in big red letters on every page and on the envelope too and send it Recorded Delivery.

Also, should you telephone them make sure that the person you speak to logs what was said and reads it back to you. Then you write to them confirming what was said.

I know it's a lot of faff, but a telephone conversation isn't worth the paper it's written on - especially where these clowns are concerned!

Keep your chin up!

Go to Top of Page

Resurgam
Admin

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2007 :  14:21:49  Show Profile Send Resurgam a Private Message
Thanks again, Alan. I think, maybe, that I've been trying to exactly the right thing - instead of just doing something. I'm beginning to get the impression that there isn't anything wrong that you can do (except trust HMRC), and you just have to keep plugging away at it.

I've looked at the main site - it's very good, and a testament to its' founders. Thank you, everyone.

Edited by - Resurgam on 20/10/2007 14:24:48
Go to Top of Page

Alan the Geordie
Admin

3032 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2007 :  23:01:54  Show Profile Send Alan the Geordie a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Resurgam

Thanks again, Alan. I think, maybe, that I've been trying to exactly the right thing - instead of just doing something. I'm beginning to get the impression that there isn't anything wrong that you can do (except trust HMRC), and you just have to keep plugging away at it.

I've looked at the main site - it's very good, and a testament to its' founders. Thank you, everyone.

I think you've just seen the light my Friend!

The ONLY thing we did wrong was in trusting HMRC

Many thanks for your kind words re; the main site. Paula & Co. worked their little socks off.

Go to Top of Page

Resurgam
Admin

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2007 :  12:15:04  Show Profile Send Resurgam a Private Message
It just gets better and better!! More HMRC lies. I'll go through them in the next post, straight after this one. First of all though, here's the letter that I sent to 2nd Tier Complaints testerday. Firstly, it gives you a good idea of what's gone on so far and secondly, it might help someone else who's trying to write. Here it is then :

I am writing to complain about numerous points concerning the way that HMRC are dealing with both my dispute regarding alleged overpayment of Tax Credits, and my case generally. For ease of reference, I have numbered each point, and expect a timely response to all of the points detailed below.

Please note that I am forwarding a copy of this letter to my MP, and will keep him fully updated with all future correspondence.

1. I have received a further demand from Debt Management, West Cheshire Office, that threatens me with the commencement of enforcement proceedings unless I pay my disputed alleged overpayment by 29th October 2007. This demand was dated 28th September 2007, and has a HMRC reference of xxxxxxxxx.
a. The alleged overpayment is still in dispute. It is in direct contravention of your own legislation that you are still seeking to recover whilst a dispute is active.
b. Although you issued a decision, dated 3rd May 2007, to the TC846 that I submitted to you on 15th April 2006 (see points 2 and 3, below), I am still awaiting a response to my letter of 6th April 2007, which was recorded as delivered on 11th April 2007. Therefore my dispute is still active.
c. Please ensure that the threat of enforcement proceedings is lifted immediately, and provide me with written confirmation of this by return post.
d. Please ensure that no further demands for payment are issued until my dispute is fully and finally resolved.

2. The TC846 that I submitted to you on 15th April 2006 was based on information that was given to me by your telephone helpline, from an experienced operator who knew what he was doing.
a. From the information supplied by you in your decision letter to me, dated 3rd May 2007 with a HMRC reference of O/payment Group 1, it becomes obvious that either I was given the wrong information by your telephone helpline or the reasons given to me regarding your decision are questionable. As I have already stated, this operator was experienced and knew his way around your computer system. He found the reason for the alleged overpayment on the computer system while I was on the telephone. There was no doubt that it was because you had not received a Declaration of Earnings from me. Why is there a difference between what was, without any doubt, found on the computer system and the communicated reasons for your decision?
b. My successful call to your helpline was preceded by several very distressing conversations with different helpline operatives. None were any help. I was given wrong, misleading or ineffectual advice which only served to confuse, confound and frustrate me further, at a time when I was in serious danger of self-harm or worse. The helpline operatives are HMRC employees, and as such HMRC bear a responsibility to their customers to provide an effective, helpful and accurate front of house operation. Why does this not happen?

3. With regard to your decision letter to me, dated 3rd May 2007
a. Why was no acknowledgement sent by HMRC regarding my CT846 dated 15th April 2006?
b. Why did it take 13 months for HMRC to issue a decision?
c. Why was there no communication whatsoever, regarding my dispute, from HMRC during this 13 month period?
d. Why did I receive a further demand for payment from HMRC, dated 27 March 2007, in contravention of your own legislation with regard to recovery whilst a dispute is active?
e. The first demand for payment, dated 16th February 2006 (see point 4, below), stated that the alleged overpayment was for the period ending 5th April 2004. Why does your decision letter state that the alleged overpayment was for the “2003-2004 and 2004-2005” periods?
f. Your decision letter is not clear about when the overpayments were actually made. Were the alleged overpayments made in the period 2003-2004, or 2004-2005?
g. If, as stated in your decision letter, my 2003-2004 tax year award was finalised in July of 2004, why was no attempt made to recover the alleged overpayment during 2004-2005, utilising the existing award?
h. I have further contention regarding the information in your decision letter. Because this information conflicts with the information given to me by your telephone operative, upon which I based my original TC846, I will be submitting a further TC846 with new information. I am still disputing the alleged overpayment.

4. I have received three demands for payment from HMRC. These were for £1540.31, dated 16th February 2006; £1851.30, dated 27th March 2007; £1766.30, dated 28th September 2007.
a. Why was the demand for £1540.31, dated 16th February 2006, the first communication that I had received about this matter?
b. Why are all three demands for different amounts?
c. There is no continuity of contact with HMRC, which causes confusion. Why are all three demands from different addresses?
i. 16th February 2006 demand from Inland Revenue Accounts Office, Cumbernauld, Glasgow, G67 1YZ.
ii. 27th March 2007 demand from Debt Management, Tax Credit Overpayment Unit, Accounts Office, St. Mungo’s Road, Cumbernauld, Glasgow, G67 1YZ.
iii. 28th September 2007 demand from Debt Management, West Cheshire Office, Mersey Bank Street, Warrington, WA1 1WA.
d. Why are the two later demands, dated 27th March 2007 and 28th September 2007, higher than the original amount? If interest has been added, I have never been informed.
e. If interest has been applied, albeit without my knowledge, why is the 28th September 2007 demand lower than the 27th March 2007 demand?
f. It seems obvious that HMRC do not really know the amount of the alleged overpayment. Please send me a detailed breakdown of whichever figure you decide is correct. Please include dates and amounts of each payment that was allegedly overpaid, along with full details of any interest, administration, penalty or other charges.
g. I reserve the right to formerly appeal, at a later date, on the amount of the overpayment claimed by HMRC and the fact that you do not really know how much was allegedly overpaid.

5. My TC846 dated 15th April 2006, although submitted for the wrong reason following information given by your helpline, stated that I was “severely depressed following the death of my stepson and the resultant breakdown of my marriage”. This was mentioned simply to give some kind of indication to HMRC of my mental state at the time. Please note that I do not differentiate between a son & a stepson – I had brought him up since he was seven, and he died on his 19th birthday. Had I known that you take personal tragedies and circumstances into account, according to COP26, I would have given a more detailed account – as I intend to when I submit my new TC846.
a. Why was I not sent a copy of COP26 when the TC846 was sent to me by HMRC?
b. Why did none of the helpline operatives mention COP26 or any of your complaint procedures?
c. When the TC846 was being investigated, why did no-one seek further information about the matter from me before coming to a flawed decision using flawed information?

The complaints in this letter are not exhaustive, and I reserve the right to add to them at a later date. Despite the fact that I can now write a letter, I am still unwell to the point where I can not work, and I am very often not able to absorb information, concentrate, interact with others, eat or sleep. This letter has taken me almost a week to write. The whole dispute with HMRC is taking me back to a time and place that I left when I moved to a nice, quiet town in Cumbria for recuperation. Back to Bedlam. Combine that with having to deal with an organisation that doesn’t know what customer service is, seeks to confuse, doesn’t follow its own rules and is guilty of severe maladministration – HMRC have set my recovery back years.

Wonder if I'll get a reply, seeing as they're all employed elsewhere?

Edited by - Resurgam on 24/10/2007 12:18:07
Go to Top of Page

Alan the Geordie
Admin

3032 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2007 :  12:35:12  Show Profile Send Alan the Geordie a Private Message
What an excellent letter!

I really am very impressed and think it shows that you're well on the way to recovering your health - as well as beating these barstewards!

Keep it up Bonny Lad, you're doing fine!

Go to Top of Page

Resurgam
Admin

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2007 :  13:04:26  Show Profile Send Resurgam a Private Message
Well, you doubt yourself and you doubt yourself again .... and then you find the paperwork that you received from HMRC that proves what you're getting at! HMRC lie, and are totally corrupt!! Let me explain. After much searching, I've just found two TC602(E)'s and a TC607 from 2005. These were sent to me at my first address after my ex-wife and I seperated.

HMRC had written, in their decision letter to me, that : "when your 2003-2004 tax year award was finalised in July 2004, income had increased to £xxxxx, this recalculated your entitlement and caused the overpayment. The provisional payments made from April 2004 were based on the income of £xxxxx when income increased to £xxxxx the amount of tax credits paid exceeded your entitlement etc.”

Well, the first TC602 is dated 17 October 2005, relates to our tax credit award from 06/04/2004 to 05/04/2005 and states that they hadn't received the information they needed to finalise our 2004-2005 award, so were using the information they did have. This used the increased income mentioned in their decision letter. Working tax credit due was reduced to nil, and we owed them £580.52 child tax credit.

The second TC602 is dated 24 October 2005. Same as before, except my ex-wife must have updated them with her earnings. Working tax credit was still reduced to nil, and the child tax credit owed was reduced to £456.04.

Remember, they're now claiming £1766.30 !!

The TC607 was a form letter, also dated 24 October 2005, acknowledging our change in circumstances (seperation), and saying that we were no longer entitled to tax credits. On the reverse was a statement of account. The statement had no figures printed for working tax credit - but under "working tax credit overpaid" stated "as the amount overpaid is small, we will not be asking you to repay it". Under "child tax credit" for the year 2005-2006, all of the figures were £0.00. "Overpayment of child tax credit for year 2005-2006" shows £0.00. "Total child tax credit overpaid in previous years" shows £0.00, and states "as the amount overpaid is small, we will not be asking you to repay it". In the "summary" at the bottom of the statement, "total tax credits overpaid" shows £0.00.

Please could everyone give me their advice on what to do with this now. Does it also prove that my award has been illegally re-opened, re-assessed, or whatever? These are the only records I have, and I have to wait for information from my SARN request to see if they have a record of being told the changes in income.

Edited by - Resurgam on 24/10/2007 16:11:56
Go to Top of Page

Alan the Geordie
Admin

3032 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2007 :  13:09:21  Show Profile Send Alan the Geordie a Private Message
Looks like a question for wor Splashin.

Howay Bonny Lass, help the lad oot here!

Edited by - Alan the Geordie on 24/10/2007 13:11:19
Go to Top of Page

Resurgam
Admin

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2007 :  13:16:36  Show Profile Send Resurgam a Private Message
Thanks, Alan. As always....
Go to Top of Page

Ali M-W
Mod

3558 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2007 :  20:37:25  Show Profile Send Ali M-W a Private Message
Definately a job for Splashin. Get your papers and calls via your SARN request first. You'd be amazed what bodges these papers throw up. It's quite an eye-opener. Splashin has found even more HMRC errors amongst these pages, all to be told to the Adjuducator! At this rate it'll be them owing me!!! Let us know how you get on, Resurgam.

Morpheus : Unfortunately, no one can be told what the Matrix is. You have to see it for yourself.

Go to Top of Page

Resurgam
Admin

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2007 :  15:35:54  Show Profile Send Resurgam a Private Message
Thanks, Ali.

Just to add a little bit more: I rang the helpline on Friday 26 October, and a nice person on the other end volunteered the information that £1390.31 was overpaid in 2003-2004 and £360.99 from 6/04/04-28/08/04. Never heard that one before. Add them together, and you get £1751.30 - yet another new figure!

Seems to me that they might have reclaimed all of 2003-2004 because they didn't receive a declaration of earnings. My original TC846 stated this - and their response didn't mention it. (See earlier posts).
Go to Top of Page

splashin
Rank; Really should become a politician

Belize
730 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2007 :  21:56:38  Show Profile Send splashin a Private Message
Resurgam

How I've missed your post I don't know. But better late than never. Ok lets start at the beginning. I have a few questions to ask.
2003-2004 - Did you get tax credits for the full year or just part of the year? What income was used to calculate this award? What date in spring was your son killed? (you just give spring 2004) sorry to bring this up. Did you have anymore children on this claim?

I can't say anything about the bit in the TC602 about 'because the overpayment is below blah blah they are not looking to recover it' I haven't heard this one before but would be interested if anyone else has seen this on their statements. I should be able to give you some explanation as to why your are being deemed as overpaid from the answers you give in your reply. (Hopefully)

Splashin
Go to Top of Page

Resurgam
Admin

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  01:21:25  Show Profile Send Resurgam a Private Message
Hi, Splashin! Thanks for your help.

This is all going to sound stupid, but I don't know when we got tax credits from, or very much about it really. My ex-wife did everything, and I just signed the form (maybe)! Daft, eh, and definitely no defence - I was already severely depressed/stressed/burnt out and useless. I think we can assume that it was for the whole of 2003-2004, but in the HMRC decision letter they mention an award notice dated 2 May 2003. Son was killed on 14 July 2004 (no need to apologise!), but I don't think he was on the claim (although he may have been in 2003) and there was 1 other child. If it helps, the two TC602's that I have for 2004-2005 state there is one child element on the claim, for young people aged between 16 and 19 in full time education.

I feel guilty writing this when there are so many people who have much less, but here it is for everyone to see! The only record I have of our joint incomes for 2003-2004 is from the decision letter I received from HMRC on 3 May 2007. This is what it says - word for word, comma for comma: "You did not tell us when your income rose above £18675.00, the level shown on your award notice dated 2 May 2003, when your 2003-2004 tax year award was finalised during July 2004, your income had increased to £22838.00, this recalculated your entitlement and caused the overpayment. The provisional payments made from April 2004, were based on the income of £16175.00 when income increased to £22838.00, the amount of tax credits paid exceeded your entitlement of £665.94."

Clear as mud to me.

The first TC602 I have is dated 17 October 2005, states a 2003-2004 income of £22838.00 and under 2004-2005 CTC the full amount for the period is £331.44, less amount of £911.96 already paid - and the amount to pay back of £580.52. WTC nil.

The second TC602 I have is dated 24 October 2005, states a 2004-2005 (just noticed - thought it was 2003-2004 like the first one) income of £21585.00 and under 2004-2005 CTC the full amount for the period is £455.92, less amount of £911.96 already paid - and the amount to pay back of £456.04. WTC nil.

Our claim (or payments) ended on 28 August 2004. (Got this date from the helpline - please see my forum post dated 28/10/2007.)

Again, all clear as mud to me.

Both TC602s say they will contact me shortly to ask for repayment - and a giro paying-in slip arrived on 16 February 2006. I don't remember ever receiving a declaration of earnings from them - so where have the income figures come from? Never knew my ex-wifes income. I was paid weekly at that time, she monthly, and both were variable. Tax credits were paid into her personal account and I never knew how much or when.

The statement that I mentioned was on the back of a TC607 letter dated 24 October 2005, saying "Thank you for telling us about your recent change in circumstances. As a result of this change, you are no longer entitled to tax credits." I can e-mail you a scan of it if you want. Don't know what generated that letter, but it had an Inland Revenue header.

Although all of the dates are very confusing, they're accurate - no typos! None of the figures seem to tally with other communications with HMRC either. God, I'm confused!!

Splashin - when HMRC were told of changes, did they send out a single joint notice or one to each for a married couple? I never saw one.

Anyway, thanks for your help. Same to everyone in TCC - without you all, don't know what I'd have done.

Edited typos.

Edited by - Resurgam on 01/11/2007 01:58:24
Go to Top of Page

Alan the Geordie
Admin

3032 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  01:39:03  Show Profile Send Alan the Geordie a Private Message
Hang in there Resurgam.

You're doing ok.

Go to Top of Page

Resurgam
Admin

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  01:53:14  Show Profile Send Resurgam a Private Message
Thanks again, Alan! I think that when this is all over and TCC have won an amnesty, we should all get together for a few glasses of whatever takes our fancy. Went off nuclear brown a long time ago, though - too many headaches!!

Cheers....
Go to Top of Page

Alan the Geordie
Admin

3032 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  01:56:18  Show Profile Send Alan the Geordie a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Resurgam

Thanks again, Alan! I think that when this is all over and TCC have won an amnesty, we should all get together for a few glasses of whatever takes our fancy. Went off nuclear brown a long time ago, though - too many headaches!!

Cheers....

It's funny you should say that.

A little while ago we were discussing about what we would all be doing after this is all over, and a real-time p*ss-up was one of the things that was suggested.

Go to Top of Page

splashin
Rank; Really should become a politician

Belize
730 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  11:24:03  Show Profile Send splashin a Private Message
Hiya Resurgam

I have looked at your reply regarding my questions. There are a number of issues which jump out at me. Was your son in Full Time Education before he died? What i would like you to do is give me these details from award notice's. Date of issue, period covered, income, amount awarded and also the letter which comes after the TC602 (E) for example.
The thing I am questioning most is that different amounts stated for the overpayment. In an earlier post they sent you, you say for 03/04 the amount O/p is 1540.31, but then you also say for that same year the overpayment is 1390.00, then another time it saya o/p is only 545.00??
There are afew explanations i have at this stage but need some clarification regarding certain items.

Splashin
Go to Top of Page

Resurgam
Admin

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  15:49:40  Show Profile Send Resurgam a Private Message
Hi again, Splashin!

Sorry, but I don't have any award notices - when we seperated, I just took my clothes! Then moved four times. So until I get something back from my SARN, I've given you everything I've got! Sent in my SARN on 21 October.

What I can do is list all of the different amounts stated for the overpayment, in date order. Every figure different.

The son that was killed was in full time education until summer 2003, but I don't have dates. Sorry, again.

I'll get the overpayment figures on the forum within the next day.

Cheers!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tax Credit Casualties Forum © 2005-10 Tax Credit Casualties Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2