Tax Credit Casualties Forum
Tax Credit Casualties Forum
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Archive
 Who we are..........
 Membership
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

auntieh
Rank; Really should become a politician

United Kingdom
625 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2007 :  19:55:51  Show Profile Send auntieh a Private Message
I see that new members are joining every day, I think there has been four since yesterday. It's great that they have found this site and we can all encourage each other not to give in. However, all have the same sorry tales to tell of woeful incompetence, faulty systems and breathtakingly unsympathetic treatment from HMRC that has coloured their lives with varying shades of misery.

Surely this makes a mockery of the Ombudsman's assertion that levels of error have decreased signficantly and communication beteen HMRC and its customers has improved?

Auntie

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

splashin

Belize
730 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2007 :  21:17:35  Show Profile Send splashin a Private Message
Auntie Di

I totally agree with you here. WELCOME ALL THE NEWBIES !!!!!!!!!!!
I also think that should anybody come across anything that they may think relevant or irrelevant to their case, then please post these findings on the forum, then others will be able to compare there own overpayment faults and issues, and hopefully will then enable them to go to the next stage to defend their dispute.

Splashin
Go to Top of Page

Robert
Admin

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2007 :  22:47:41  Show Profile Send Robert a Private Message
I keep pointing everyone, i find with overpayment woes,in our direction,and i know quite a few of them, who have registered here, under different names..and the petition is also doing very well now..

Viva la Tax Credit revolution..

The truth is out there.. GO get it......Non Illigitamus Carborundum

Go to Top of Page

auntieh

United Kingdom
625 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2007 :  20:43:41  Show Profile Send auntieh a Private Message
See we are now up to 190 members. That number has grown very rapidly. So clearly things aren't improving that much in the world of HMRC.

Welcome everybody to the club that nobody wants to join!
Go to Top of Page

Robert
Admin

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2007 :  22:14:40  Show Profile Send Robert a Private Message
There are more people being helped every day.. we have people, i have pointed in the right direction, now helping, and pointing out to others,that they can complain, and appeal against the HMRC decissions and win, and gain compensation in the process as well..

Power to the people..

The truth is out there.. GO get it......Non Illigitamus Carborundum

Go to Top of Page

Alan the Geordie
Admin

3032 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2007 :  22:17:11  Show Profile Send Alan the Geordie a Private Message
Power to the people???

What's this .. the return of Citizen Smith??

(you're not Robert Lindsay are you?)

"Broons aall roond f'th' lads an' divvent hoy yer liggies doon th' netty!!"

Edited by - Alan the Geordie on 30/10/2007 22:18:09
Go to Top of Page

Ali M-W
Mod

3558 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2007 :  02:08:28  Show Profile Send Ali M-W a Private Message

Great to see new members joining all the time.

By sharing what we find out, we can help each other to get some measure of justice in this often abusive system.

Please spread the word. Everyone will know others affected.

Once we get our own cases nicely under way, just be aware that there are always things you can do to help the campaign - local publicity being just one.

This can be especially effective if you have a (usually Labour) MP reluctant to help but they got in my a slim majority.

It seems helpful to show evidence of a local and vocal group who might just tip the vote next time round.

Please write to and go to see your MPs. In discussing your own case and grievances, please mention us in some way (Tax Credit Casualties).

if you have supportive family members in another MP's patch, there's nothing to stop them writing to their own MPs saying how worried they are about their relative's situation.

This can double, triple or quadruple the effect. Often your relative's MP may be more enthusuastic than your own!

Anyone now writing to their MPs - please could you ask them to support the TCC's invitation to Jane Kennedy (Financial Secretary) to meet with us?

Morpheus : Unfortunately, no one can be told what the Matrix is. You have to see it for yourself.

Go to Top of Page

auntieh

United Kingdom
625 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  23:44:40  Show Profile Send auntieh a Private Message
I see we've passed the 200 members mark now. Going up at an alarming rate but good that people are managing to find us.

And by the way - can't anyone sleep tonight, not seen so many logged on at same time before! I'm off now hopefully not to dream about my overpayment and Gord dressed in a devil's outfit this time.

Night all!
Go to Top of Page

Alan the Geordie
Admin

3032 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  23:46:19  Show Profile Send Alan the Geordie a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by auntieh

I see we've passed the 200 members mark now. Going up at an alarming rate but good that people are managing to find us.

And by the way - can't anyone sleep tonight, not seen so many logged on at same time before! I'm off now hopefully not to dream about my overpayment and Gord dressed in a devil's outfit this time.

Night all!

It's like Marlbrough Crescent bus station in here tonight!

Geordie: Ah wes pelatick.
English: I enjoyed myself.

Geordie: Ah scoredwithabord.
English: I made the acquaintance of a young woman.

Go to Top of Page

auntieh

United Kingdom
625 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  23:48:21  Show Profile Send auntieh a Private Message
I don't know that place but Watford Junction Station probably quite similar!
Go to Top of Page

Ali M-W
Mod

3558 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2007 :  01:01:17  Show Profile Send Ali M-W a Private Message
quote:

Night all!

[}:)
"Gord dressed in a devil's outfit"? Horrendous.

Mind you, I once dreamed I was in a daunting tax credit office building with old-fashioned metal-shuttered lifts like they used to have in department stores, and having been told I had an overpayment caused by having 23 children, I was then forced to pursue a fleeing Tracy Gale up flights of stairs. Not too sure why I didn't use the lift. I wonder what Freud would make of these dreams?

Morpheus : Unfortunately, no one can be told what the Matrix is. You have to see it for yourself.

Go to Top of Page

Alan the Geordie
Admin

3032 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2007 :  01:15:48  Show Profile Send Alan the Geordie a Private Message
quote:

I don't know that place but Watford Junction Station probably quite similar!

Well when you've seen one you've seen them all I suppose!

Geordie: Ah wes pelatick.
English: I enjoyed myself.

Geordie: Ah scoredwithabord.
English: I made the acquaintance of a young woman.

Go to Top of Page

Ali M-W
Mod

3558 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2007 :  08:36:03  Show Profile Send Ali M-W a Private Message
Well, membership is steadily growing!

We shouldn't get complacent, because it's make or break time now, and because our members are all at different stages in the process, I know we have some members who are STILL being pursued for recovery and have either been deprived of earlier dispute stages because of HMRC's over-zealous approach to taking Court action and writing their own Certificates of Debt, or who have just been churned out by the Ombudsman.

We're going to do all we can for those at the end stages, and once we get a campaign fund going, I suggest we make those people our test case priorities. Meanwhile, we need to end this abusive psychological torture and financial ruin of innocent, hardworking citizens by upping our efforts and speaking up for ourselves and each other.

Everyone has to look after themselves and make sure, first off, that they've started the dispute process and got a stay oif recovery from HMRC, so that they aren't having money docked, paying back, or being threatened with nasty letters. That done, the veterans on this site will tell you that the TCO take ages to get anything done, so as long as you can bear the uncertainty of waiting, and respond at once to anything they send you, you will be okay.

That's when you have the freedom to join the campaign proper. And there I must leave you or I'll be late for work - but later I will post some ideas for action. Meanwhile, others will (I hope) do likewise...

Agent Smith: I hate this place, this zoo, this prison, this reality, whatever you want to call it.

Go to Top of Page

Ali M-W
Mod

3558 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2007 :  07:47:59  Show Profile Send Ali M-W a Private Message
Here's how you can help the campaign:

1) Get articles and letters submitted to local/national papers. Unless you have a unique slant or incredible abuses by the Tax Credit Office to offer them, it will need to link in some way either with something happening nationally (the publication of a critical report, Brown being under fire, etc.) or - in the case of your local paper - be of local interest. Persistence is the key. A friendly journalist will always bear you in mind next time.

2) If - as I hope you do - you refer to the Tax Credit Casualties' Justice is an Amnesty Campaign, and to our website - please steer clear of contentious issues (racism, religion, criticism of Brown going beyond his maladministration into his personal life, etc.) Not wishing, of course, to insult the impeccably-behaved forum members currently posting. (ie. we haven't had problems, but let's keep it that way).

3. Printing off the poster (for which there is a link from our homepage, at the top) and asking if it can be displayed in appropriate places, eg. benefit advice centres, your local CAB, Community Centre, childcare groups, etc.

4. Contacting Paula, Sarah, Ali or Lisa for packs, cards and information to give out if you are attending any relevant local public meetings.

5. Writing to your MP, not only about your own case, but the wider issues. Seeking a face-to-face meeting. Mentioning the TCC and (feel free to seek suggestions beforehand here or through PMs if you wish!) and asking your MP to carry out cetain actions, eg. asking Jane Kennedy to meet with the TCC, to pass on info about us to similarly affected claimants, to open debate in the house, raise an Early Day Motion, etc. Enlist sympathetic family members to similarly contact their own MPs out of concern for your situation and the wider problems (MPs can only deal with issues raised by and affecting their own constituents, although as a group they can all talk to us.)

6. Spread the word about this forum and our website to others you know who have been affected.

7. Get the petition on You must be logged in to see this link. signed, and spread the word.

More to follow - please all feel free to add ideas! Thanks.

Agent Smith: I hate this place, this zoo, this prison, this reality, whatever you want to call it.

Go to Top of Page

Ali M-W
Mod

3558 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2007 :  07:40:33  Show Profile Send Ali M-W a Private Message
Local co-ordinators, it's not terribly difficult (I've found) getting in touch with the political editor of your local paper and getting a piece put in the paper about you being the local co-ordinator for the Tax Credit Casualties, and inviting readers wanting peer support and represenetation to come forward. If your MP is sympathetic, or you have a supportive Opposition candidate, if they will give a quote, so much the better. If you can give the paper a contact number (mobile?) then you will be off! From the new people coming forward, a certain proportion will have complete horror stories AND will be happy to talk to their local journalist, and from that you have a two-page spread in the paper and a potential local campaign group! Once the local papers realise the number of casualties, we may well have a newspaper campaign in support of us, and once we have our bank account established, we can start gathering funds for campaign work, a Conference and legal action!

Go to Top of Page

Ali M-W
Mod

3558 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2007 :  07:44:36  Show Profile Send Ali M-W a Private Message
A bit of local coverage is good. It lets casualties know that others are in the same/worse boat and they are not alone, nor is it a matter of shame. It inspires supportive MPs and warns unsupportive ones that there's a big problem and they could be unseated if they don't become useful. It's a great motivator for everyone, and the National Press do scour the local rags for juicy morsels, so if your case is briefly featured but a prime example of HMRC bad practice, you may get a shot at the National media. I have known people have write-offs from the mere threat of this!

Go to Top of Page

Ali M-W
Mod

3558 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2007 :  19:21:36  Show Profile Send Ali M-W a Private Message
My local newspaper is getting back to me tomorrow to let me know what they're planning with the recent wave of local people (Portsmouth area) who have been in touch recently with them and me. It's not too difficult a thing to do - if you want to get in touch with your local rag but don't know where to start, send me an email or PM me! If I can do it, anyone can!

Go to Top of Page

Ali M-W
Mod

3558 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2007 :  08:18:23  Show Profile Send Ali M-W a Private Message
Thanks, Portsmouth Casualties, for an overwhelming response! I expect to see a selection of stories in the Portsmouth News in the coming days.

Talking of publicity, with HMRC's latest lost Child Benefit records debacle, now is a good time for contacting newspapers with our own stories of HMRC malpractice and criminal incompetence, and if we don't feel inclined to tell our stories, we can always fire off letters. Publicity is good - it draws in new members, motivates policians, and wins public opinion on our side. Let's keep tax credits high on the agenda in the coming months!

What we really need are some media examples of appalling treatment of claimants, and whistleblowers to tell their insider stories of how they are directed to treat claimants, and those things which - in the words of one insider I know of - 'would make your blood boil'. Let's see what the next week or so brings...

Go to Top of Page

Alan the Geordie
Admin

3032 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2007 :  11:14:51  Show Profile Send Alan the Geordie a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ali M-W

Thanks, Portsmouth Casualties, for an overwhelming response! I expect to see a selection of stories in the Portsmouth News in the coming days.

Talking of publicity, with HMRC's latest lost Child Benefit records debacle, now is a good time for contacting newspapers with our own stories of HMRC malpractice and criminal incompetence, and if we don't feel inclined to tell our stories, we can always fire off letters. Publicity is good - it draws in new members, motivates policians, and wins public opinion on our side. Let's keep tax credits high on the agenda in the coming months!

What we really need are some media examples of appalling treatment of claimants, and whistleblowers to tell their insider stories of how they are directed to treat claimants, and those things which - in the words of one insider I know of - 'would make your blood boil'. Let's see what the next week or so brings...

Well I've contacted all three of our local rags and James Coney at the Mirror and am about to fire-off yet another letter to my long suffering MP .......

Geordie: Worbairn's hacky mucky.
English: The baby needs a wash.

Go to Top of Page

Ali M-W
Mod

3558 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2007 :  22:32:07  Show Profile Send Ali M-W a Private Message
Well done, Alan. Publicity is what we need. Let the powers that be see that we're not taking this lying down but are fighting back - to win!

Go to Top of Page

Ali M-W
Mod

3558 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2007 :  05:48:00  Show Profile Send Ali M-W a Private Message
As membership of TCC grows, and word spreads (the great thing about media publicity!), we may want to start thinking more about linking up with Casualties in our own 'patches' and approaching local newspapers collectively? Regional papers would, I am sure, be interested in 4-6 local people's tax credit horror stories, especially given the recent news of HMRC incompetency and its threat to the safety and security of families with young children. National press pays great attention to local papers. We need to keep tax credits firmly on the agenda. Our constituency MPs and their opposition candidates will be reading the local papers, and seeing a strong local campaign is likely to make them more pro-active in seeking tax credit justice, as they realise a disgruntled electorate will be looking for an elected representative it can trust to put things right. Just a thought...

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tax Credit Casualties Forum © 2005-10 Tax Credit Casualties Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2