Tax Credit Casualties Forum
Tax Credit Casualties Forum
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Tax Credit Overpayments
 Questions, Answers and Cases
 Overpayment from 2007
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AMANDA
Rank; Hector Tax Inspector

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2010 :  16:12:56  Show Profile Send AMANDA a Private Message
I am in dispute with Tax Credit Compliance as I have been accused of failing to notify them that I allegedly lived with someone for a month in April 2007. The investigation was triggered by me ex-partner giving my address to the Inland Revenue in April 2007 as we intended to set up home together. However, this never actually happened. He did stay with me for a couple of weeks before our relationship broke down comletely but we never lived as a married couple. I was married for 16 years before so do kw what being married entails!!
I have appealed against the decision but the appeal was turned down by the compliance manager. I provided lots of evidence to prove that I lived alone with my children and was solely financially responsible for all outgoings and purchases. I even provided evidence with my ex-partners home address on along with details that he did indeed own his own house. The only evidence that linked me with my ex-partner was a savings account opened when I was expecting our child and the information from the Inland Revenue.
I have been invited to submit more evidence by 19 November 2010 and am desperately seeking advice about what else I may use.
I have read the guidance that the Compliance people use to indicate what constitutes living as a married couple and I never have with this person.
CAN ANYONE HELP!! I am now getting desperate as the amount of the aleged overpayment is huge due to two sets of chilcare costs.
Any suggestions gratefully received. Thanks!

Amanda

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

samthe
Mod

341 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2010 :  17:23:30  Show Profile Send samthe a Private Message
You say you've read the Compliance guidance. Do you mean this?:

You must be logged in to see this link.

There is a bit on short term relationships which is more or less saying it is unlkely anything under 3 months will satisfy the requirements for living together. Look at all the parts which may be relevant & use whatever is in there which may help you. TCO should have given reasons why they turned you down. You need to study them & provide information & evidence to rebut them as far as possible. In particular you need to explain fully in detail why the joint savings account was opened, what it was used for & when it was closed (or why it has not been closed if it is still open). You also mention linking evidence from Inland Revenue - you also need to do the same in relation to that.

I'm assuming from what you say that TCO are only after you for a one month period. Is this so? (If not, what are they arguing?) If it is, I'm not sure how the alleged overpayment can be "huge". Why are 2 sets of childcare costs involved?

You say you've appealed but the appeal was turned down by Compliance. This is not right. Appeal is a specific process which involves an independent Tribunal - decisions on appeals cannot be taken unilaterally by TCO. However, there is a time limit on making an appeal, which is 30 days from the date the decision was notified to you, & this should have been spelt out in the letter giving you the decision. If you have submitted an appeal within time, you need to insist it goes to a Tribunal.

The alternative is that it is possible to dispute recovery of an overpayment. Such disputes (there is no specific time limit for making them) are dealt with by TCO & can go through various stages. Eventually, if you are not satisfied you can go to the Independent Adjudicator & then - via your MP - to the Parliamentary Ombudsman. All this can take years, but TCO do not necessarily put recovery of the overpayment on hold after their initial decision on the dispute.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tax Credit Casualties Forum © 2005-10 Tax Credit Casualties Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2