Tax Credit Casualties Forum
Tax Credit Casualties Forum
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Archive
 In The Media
 Single mother 'killed off' by HMRC
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ali M-W
Mod

3558 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2010 :  08:11:13  Show Profile Send Ali M-W a Private Message
Lovely bit of HMRC bungling here:

You must be logged in to see this link.

Morpheus: I'm trying to free your mind, Neo. But I can only show you the door. You're the one that has to walk through it.

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

Jo_B
Rank; Hector Tax Inspector

34 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2010 :  13:48:02  Show Profile Send Jo_B a Private Message
thats awful, how the heck was she declared dead in the first place?
also social services would of been involved as well as if she had died her children would of needed to be cared for.
Go to Top of Page

onlimee

50 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2010 :  15:59:01  Show Profile Send onlimee a Private Message
but the article says she rang the council and that HMRC put her on emergency payments? which one of them was at fault?
Go to Top of Page

Jo_B

34 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2010 :  08:22:55  Show Profile Send Jo_B a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by onlimee

but the article says she rang the council and that HMRC put her on emergency payments? which one of them was at fault?

who made the mistake in the first place to declare her dead
Go to Top of Page

LittleLady

40 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2010 :  13:37:50  Show Profile Send LittleLady a Private Message
What an absolute pile of steaming poo. The local article here has a lot more detail:
You must be logged in to see this link.

The Daily Mail version has had most of the facts removed, what a surprise. If there's one lesson I need to pass on to my kids it will be "Never believe a single word that has been vomited out by the Daily Mail". Oh, and maybe "look both ways before crossing the road".

Neither of the articles mention how the error might have occurred in the first place, nor why it might be taking so long to fix. The local story does say "the council" wrote a letter to the lady's next of kin requesting more information - I think she meant HMRC. The lady says it never arrived. Impossible to prove either way, of course.

I do feel sorry for her, because I imagine it will be a nightmare getting her payments properly sorted out, but it sounds like she doesn't exactly help herself either. The Daily Mail saying she "fears for her home" is pure fabrication, as she has paid her rent, according to the other article. Bailiffs apparently turned up because she hasn't been paying for her car. It also says this situation has been going on for two months. So she missed two payments and bailiffs turned up? Did she phone them to explain the situation? Did she get letters first?

So many questions would need to be answered before blame can be apportioned.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tax Credit Casualties Forum © 2005-10 Tax Credit Casualties Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2