Tax Credit Casualties Forum
Tax Credit Casualties Forum
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Tax Credit Overpayments
 Questions, Answers and Cases
 Cant cancel tax credits..?????
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Robert
Admin

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2007 :  00:56:07  Show Profile Send Robert a Private Message
Help on this..

i have been told by people,and seen various posts.that they try to ring up and cancel their tax credits awards,mainly because of the problems they have had..and they are told they cant cancel them..i thought, according to Dawn primarolo..this is a benefit..so i dont see why you cant cancel them...if you dont want them..

Any takers..

The truth is out there.. GO get it..

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

Alan the Geordie
Admin

3032 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2007 :  10:38:35  Show Profile Send Alan the Geordie a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Robert

Help on this..

i have been told by people,and seen various posts.that they try to ring up and cancel their tax credits awards,mainly because of the problems they have had..and they are told they cant cancel them..i thought, according to Dawn primarolo..this is a benefit..so i dont see why you cant cancel them...if you dont want them..

Any takers..

My understanding is that it is NOT a "Benefit" as such - it is a "credit".

A "benefit" is something that would be paid to you by the Benefits Agency i.e. Job Seekers Allowance, Carers Allowance, Supplimentary Benefit etc.

I don't know why there is a difference - or even if there actually is - but that's what I have been led to believe.

That said, I can't see why one cannot refuse to continue accepting Tax Credits if you don't want them - No one is forced into playing Russian Roulette and there are similarities between that and Tax Credits!

One way around it would be to do what my ex-wife did. She sent their cheques back to them!

Having said that, it didn't stop them demanding the money back - even though we had never had it in the first place 'cos she sent the cheques back to them!!
Go to Top of Page

Ali M-W
Mod

3558 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2007 :  15:41:25  Show Profile Send Ali M-W a Private Message
Like everything to do with tax credits, it's more complicated than that. I think it has to do with overpayments which quietly roll over from year to year, which they'll gladly reclaim from ongoing awards (which can themselves be wrong), but which they won't write off just because a person has opted not to accept an ongoing entitlement. But as I don't want to get this wrong, and confuse and misinform, I'll try to find out more and post here what I do manage to find out - if and when I get any answers.

Go to Top of Page

chrisp
Rank; Hector Tax Inspector

98 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2007 :  01:33:56  Show Profile Send chrisp a Private Message
Having recently won, on the face of it, I now owe them nothing and 'guess' they owe me nothing. I have asked them for a divorce on the grounds of unreasonable behaviour. It could on the face of it be the ideal moment if such an annulment.

I have left them in no misaprehension that I no longer want to participate in their system and as I am apparently clear of debt, either supposed or actual this would be a good time to give me a decree absolute. In fact I can think of no better moment, all I need is a letter of acknowledgement that since the start of this shambles to the present date we are square and they agree that I have no wish to, nor am required in law to take part in their sadistic debacle.

I also pointed out at this time they, "Customs and Excise" at one time had my utmost respect for attempting to keep this country free from prohibited substances, and that unfortunately this respect evaporated quicker than a pipe of opium much beloved by our own Sherlock Holmes as soon as this flawed system was foisted upon them by the illeterates charged with administering this country.

I await their answer and will keep you informed.

In the words of Oates as he left the tent for the last time " I may be some time"
Go to Top of Page

Ali M-W
Mod

3558 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2007 :  08:36:23  Show Profile Send Ali M-W a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by chrisp

Having recently won, on the face of it, I now owe them nothing and 'guess' they owe me nothing. I have asked them for a divorce on the grounds of unreasonable behaviour. It could on the face of it be the ideal moment if such an annulment.

I have left them in no misaprehension that I no longer want to participate in their system and as I am apparently clear of debt, either supposed or actual this would be a good time to give me a decree absolute. In fact I can think of no better moment, all I need is a letter of acknowledgement that since the start of this shambles to the present date we are square and they agree that I have no wish to, nor am required in law to take part in their sadistic debacle.

I also pointed out at this time they, "Customs and Excise" at one time had my utmost respect for attempting to keep this country free from prohibited substances, and that unfortunately this respect evaporated quicker than a pipe of opium much beloved by our own Sherlock Holmes as soon as this flawed system was foisted upon them by the illeterates charged with administering this country.

I await their answer and will keep you informed.

In the words of Oates as he left the tent for the last time " I may be some time"

lol, Chrisp, I couldn't agree more with your fervent wish never to have anything more to do with this 'sadistic debacle', and indeed their behaviour goes beyond 'unreasonable'. I do hope your 'D.I.V.O.R.C.E becomes final' very soon!

Who was Oates, btw? I guess you don't mean Daryl Hall's singing partner?
Go to Top of Page

Robert
Admin

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2007 :  09:05:41  Show Profile Send Robert a Private Message
Below is a pssage from the adjudicators report.it seem quite a few people are unhappy with the tax credit system..

We have seen a number of cases where, as a
result of this, disillusioned claimants are seeking
to leave the system. HMRC have made some
improvements in their communications (e.g. in
the award and renewal notice) but, given the
constraints of the reasonable belief test, there is
still some way to go.

Edited by - Robert on 18/07/2007 09:06:09
Go to Top of Page

chrisp
Rank; Hector Tax Inspector

98 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2007 :  11:59:28  Show Profile Send chrisp a Private Message

Who was Oates, btw? I guess you don't mean Daryl Hall's singing partner?

Captain Oates was the 'very gallant gentleman' who walked to his death in a blizzard, hoping to save his comrades on Scott's disastrous South Pole expedition in 1912. As he crawled from their tent on to the ice in temperatures of -40 C, Oates achieved immortality with the famous parting remark: 'I am just going outside and may be some time.'

Go to Top of Page

Ali M-W
Mod

3558 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2007 :  16:36:58  Show Profile Send Ali M-W a Private Message
I think he was reincarnated with purple hair....
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

240 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2007 :  17:33:51  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
lol: also asked for a divorce. Was told could withdraw. Did so in writing and over the phone. Since been told that this messes up the computer and must wait until new award notice arrives!!! lol

Called again on a number from SAYNOTO site which is brill, got straight through on the national alt no. for call centre.
Spoke again, and the person asked where I was calling from as it looked like overseas!! lol - I said dont understand lol

Looks like I will be calling again shortly to formally withdraw - how absolutely ridiculous.!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Alan the Geordie
Admin

3032 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2007 :  17:43:36  Show Profile Send Alan the Geordie a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by rosie

lol: also asked for a divorce. Was told could withdraw. Did so in writing and over the phone. Since been told that this messes up the computer and must wait until new award notice arrives!!! lol

Called again on a number from SAYNOTO site which is brill, got straight through on the national alt no. for call centre.
Spoke again, and the person asked where I was calling from as it looked like overseas!! lol - I said dont understand lol

Looks like I will be calling again shortly to formally withdraw - how absolutely ridiculous.!!!!!

Looks like the Withdrawal Method is the safest option here!!
Go to Top of Page

Ali M-W
Mod

3558 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2007 :  15:40:05  Show Profile Send Ali M-W a Private Message
Here's why you can't divorce the Tax Credit Office, from the Low Incomes Tax Reform Group:

<<Alison

You might want to have a look at our website here which talks about renewals and the consequences of non-renewal: You must be logged in to see this link.

If you scroll down to the section titled Payments following the end of the 'current year' (read in conjunction with the rest of the page) it should as a whole explain why you have to renew which then answers the question why you cannot get out of the system. Failure to renew will create an overpayment of itself.

If you have any problems understanding it then please do let me know.

Victoria

Victoria Todd
Welfare Rights Adviser
Low Incomes Tax Reform Group
12 Upper Belgrave Street
London, SW1X 8BB
You must be logged in to see this link.
Email: victoriatodd28@yahoo.co.uk
Phone: 07813608292 >>
Go to Top of Page

sammy
Rank; Really should become a politician

690 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2007 :  16:52:30  Show Profile Send sammy a Private Message
I'm entitled to 0.00 this year, we have been overpaid (2003/4) we will tell you later how to repay...kin hell (it should say we have told the judge how you should repay -;))
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

40 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2007 :  22:58:18  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Robert

Help on this..

Any takers..

You cant "cancel" tax credits because there is no facility to do so. there are a few ways to stop your tax credits claim being paid. but no one has the facility to stop your claim.

I can guarantee it.

If you are so desperate to not have it then you can do one of these things:

1) call the tax credits helpline, tell them that your claim has gone from single to joint or joint to single (best to do this the day after you have had a payment to minimise any overpayment).

2) dont complete your renewal, which im sure some of you have had the pleasure of before. this will mean than anything you have been paid between 6th april and the annual review deadline will be an overpayment.

3) make a change to your award which means that you are no longer entitled to tax credits. i.e my children have left, i dont have a job (again best to do this the day after you have had a payment to minimise any overpayment)

quote:
Here's why you can't divorce the Tax Credit Office, from the Low Incomes Tax Reform Group:

<<Alison

You might want to have a look at our website here which talks about renewals and the consequences of non-renewal: You must be logged in to see this link.

If you scroll down to the section titled Payments following the end of the 'current year' (read in conjunction with the rest of the page) it should as a whole explain why you have to renew which then answers the question why you cannot get out of the system. Failure to renew will create an overpayment of itself.

If you have any problems understanding it then please do let me know.

sorry but this is rubbish. yes failure to complete a renewal will result in an overpayment. but there is no facility to end a claim which can end in a closed award. there will likely to be some amount outstanding/repayable. but this lack of facility has little to do with the annual declaration process
Go to Top of Page

Robert
Admin

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2007 :  23:17:45  Show Profile Send Robert a Private Message
Hi pfm500..

2) dont complete your renewal, which im sure some of you have had the pleasure of before. this will mean than anything you have been paid between 6th april and the annual review deadline will be an overpayment

if you dont renew your award the revenue will ask for all money going back to the previous april.not the current one.as per this news article.

You must be logged in to see this link.

09:30 - 07 July 2007

A Single mum is being forced to pay back more than 2,500 to the Government - all because a form was "not returned".

Imogen Freeman claims that she sent off the relevant paperwork in order to claim working and family tax credits for 2004-5.

She never suspected that something was amiss as the money was subsequently paid into her account.

...............................................................................................................

An update in the story.. she is entitled to the money but HMRC still want it back..bureaucracy gone mad..

Hm Revenue and Customs has responded to the claims of a single mother that she should not have to pay back 2,555.

Earlier this month, the Evening Telegraph reported how Imogen Freeman said she had sent the necessary forms in order to claim working and family tax credits for 2004-5.

She never suspected anything was wrong as the money was subsequently paid into her account.

But the Inland Revenue is ordering her to repay 2,555, as it claims it did not receive the form, although it accepted she was entitled to receive the payments

Edited by - Robert on 01/08/2007 23:19:12
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

40 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2007 :  23:32:37  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Hi Robert, that was a fast reply, considering the time of day!!

the tax year runs from the 06-04-200x to the 05-04-200x+1

your tax credits are based on your previous years income, (06-04-200x-1). and from the 6th april you are paid based on your income previous to 2 years 06-04-200x-2) so until you complete your tax credits annual review you are being paid on an income from two years ago.

this year the declaration period is from 06/04/2007 to 31/07/2007. if you dont return your declaration, your claim is ended from the 6th april and so everything from then is classed as overpayment, it doesnt run from the previous april. i can guarantee it ;)
Go to Top of Page

Ali M-W
Mod

3558 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2007 :  07:33:31  Show Profile Send Ali M-W a Private Message
I've been trying to follow all this, but haven't found it easy. Anyone fancy tying this all up in a paper, like Sarah did with the Flood issue and Lisa's done with the Maternity Leave Trap? If we can summarise the pitfalls and problems, there's something else to sent to HMRC and bring to Jane Kennedy's attention. Thanks. We seem to be having a lot of success with this approach!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

40 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2007 :  10:32:07  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
it would be so much easier to show you on pictures...

ill see what i can do.... also sorry for the lack of good grammar and cohesive sentences, i was drunk!
Go to Top of Page

Alan the Geordie
Admin

3032 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2007 :  14:11:46  Show Profile Send Alan the Geordie a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by pfm500

it would be so much easier to show you on pictures...

ill see what i can do.... also sorry for the lack of good grammar and cohesive sentences, i was drunk!

Aye, I know what you mean.

Most of us end up getting bladdered after trying to make sense of Tax Credits!

Divvent worry aboot it Hinny!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

40 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  18:47:29  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
ayeeee! luckily i do have some experience with it, a little more than you have had to scrape together figuring those b*st*rd award notices out at the least!
Go to Top of Page

Alan the Geordie
Admin

3032 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  21:51:42  Show Profile Send Alan the Geordie a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by pfm500

ayeeee! luckily i do have some experience with it, a little more than you have had to scrape together figuring those b*st*rd award notices out at the least!

That's excellent news!

I'm sure you'll be a great ass to the forum.
Go to Top of Page

Alan the Geordie
Admin

3032 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2007 :  13:39:45  Show Profile Send Alan the Geordie a Private Message
Sorry, that should have read "assett".

(Bl**dy Chinese/Geordie keyboard.)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tax Credit Casualties Forum © 2005-10 Tax Credit Casualties Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2