Tax Credit Casualties Forum
Tax Credit Casualties Forum
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Archive
 Your Comments (Tax Credit Related)
 Getting tax credits correct
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

helpsue123
Rank; Hector Tax Inspector

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2010 :  08:20:35  Show Profile Send helpsue123 a Private Message
Hi there
I am a newcomer with ongoing TC problems ( well theres a surprise)
At some time in the future I may wish to start claiming TC again (!)and am worried I will end up going down the same path again.
If I fill out the forms and send them back and they say I am eligible what would happen if I then sent them back asking them to check again as I am not sure they are correct ?
They send them back - everything is OK
I then return them again asking them to confirm that the forms have been filled out correctly and they have taken note of everything.
They send them back again saying everything is fine.
Surely then they couldn't ask for a repayment if they get it wrong three times ??
And better than that what would happen if every new claimant did this ?
Either the system would grind to a halt ( whats new ?!) OR they might actually have to do what the government used to do .... which is stand by their mistakes and bite the bullet on overpayments.

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

splashin
Rank; Really should become a politician

Belize
730 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2010 :  05:45:27  Show Profile Send splashin a Private Message
Hi helpsue123

If you do complete a fresh claim form to get tax credit payments in the future and you fill out the form and send to HMRC for processing. The award notice which they send you out, should and must be checked by yourself to confirm the details held on it are correct. Personal details, hours worked or benefits received, children in household and any income the household is getting must be correct and reflect the tax year currently claiming for. Usually, when a fresh claim is submitted TCO ask for not last year but the years before income detail, it is the claimants responsibility to update this to the correct amount of income you are getting for the current tax year.
The rules for claiming Tax Credits are that the claimant must check all details on the award notice and if anything is wrong you must inform HMRC. The info you put in your application form are scanned onto the system and from this then the system calculates if there is any entitlement a works out any payments due.
With regards to the government biting the bullet on overpayment's and admitting to their mistakes. I have never witnessed any Government going out of pocket for mistakes.

We all have different experiences claiming tax credits, some good, some bad. But I believe if you have eligibility and entitlement to claim then you should.

Splashin
Go to Top of Page

Ali M-W
Mod

3558 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2010 :  23:19:19  Show Profile Send Ali M-W a Private Message
There are so many, too many, shoddy mistakes made, with HMRC having no incentive whatsoever to improve accuracy as the prevailing culture is one of victim-blaming and extortion from the innocent.

It's sad that we cannot trust so-called experts to get this right, but this is compounded when lower income families who desperately need the extra money are too terrified to claim what they are due, and feel obliged to go without.

I would hate anyone to feel so terrified of the system and its many problems that they forgo this "helping hand" and experience poverty and hardship.

As Splashin says, those who need and are entitled to the money should still claim, but with caution, and keep copies of all correspondence and notes of any calls made, with the date and time, number they called from, and the name of the person they dealt with.

Entitlement can be checked, and I believe there are "ready reckoner" sites out there which can convert circumstances into a level of entitlement.

Feel free, folks, to research and identify helpful sites!

Morpheus: I'm trying to free your mind, Neo. But I can only show you the door. You're the one that has to walk through it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tax Credit Casualties Forum © 2005-10 Tax Credit Casualties Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2