Tax Credit Casualties Forum
Tax Credit Casualties Forum
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Archive
 New Members Cases
 Tax Credit disputed overpayment
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

phoenix1510
Rank; Hector Tax Inspector

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2010 :  20:51:07  Show Profile Send phoenix1510 a Private Message
Hi wondering if you can help me. Back in 2007 I fell off the tax credit system and my payments stopped. This was due to a change of circumstances that blocked any further changes back in 2005. Despite me advising Tax Credits of changes and phoning to ask why I wasn't receiving new award forms I was always told the information they held was correct and not too worry. It took a few months but eventually I got manual payments until the following tax year when I was set up on the system again. Imagine my surprise when I received this year's award notice telling me of an overpayment in 2007-2008 of over 10k. When I phoned the helpline, they can see the overpayment on there but when they clicked on it the amount showed 0. A week later I got a one month payment demand - I phoned the payment line and explained what had happened but they insisted I wasn't eligible and had to repay within 30 days. The next day I got several more demands - one covering the period 2006-2007 as again apparantely I wasn't eligible and several more dating back to 2003 totalling nearly 50k for payment within 1 month!!! One of the demands was for over 23k in one year- I didn't even receive that amount!!! When I phoned the payment line they said some of them had been adjusted but couldn't give answers as to where these figures had come from but now say I have two overpayments totalling over 20k and it's unusual that I haven't been advised of this on previous awards - I think I would have noticed&none of my previous final award notices mention this!! I'm obviously very worried & have requested a form to dispute it as I have letters to and from HMRC from the period I experienced problems but would really appreciate any advice as to what I should do or thoughts. Thank u!

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

splashin
Rank; Really should become a politician

Belize
730 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2010 :  01:11:46  Show Profile Send splashin a Private Message
Hi Phoenix

I know exactly what you mean, when you say you fell off the system. This was a system fault, and many went onto manual payments, the awards were calculated by TCO staff, because the system couldn't. When you where finally 'Recaptured' back onto the NTC core, payments and award notice's were restored. None of these award notices would have shown any overpayment, whatsoever. The reason for this, is because TCO recaptured your claim, because the last claim was corrupt. This new re-captured file knows nothing about the overpayment on the corrupt old claim.
These notices to pay you are being sent out to you because that old corrupt file has never been correctly closed down. And I can believe 1 of the notices demanded 23k. The details these corrupt claims held, where just unsortable, and so corrupt, they just hung up and still hang on the NTC core today. Files full of what is like spaghetti junction.
I would of thought if the TCO team working these re-capture cases would have been trained to resolve the corrupt file by ending correctly, before moving you on to your fresh claim. But TCO never cease to amaze me, with their slap dash attitude.

I think the only thing you can do is dispute, and explain your situation. Follow this 'How to Dispute' section on this link.

You must be logged in to see this link.

If you have had any letters from the Debt Management Unit (probably from Cumbernauld) keep them informed by phone of what you are doing. You have to do this separately from your contact with TCO. They should suspend recovery action until the dispute has been investigated

Any Questions Just Ask !
Someone will know !

Splashin
Go to Top of Page

phoenix1510
Rank; Hector Tax Inspector

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2010 :  08:31:05  Show Profile Send phoenix1510 a Private Message
Thanks Splashin. I was reading through the forum last night and realised that still, what a nightmare minefield the tax credit system is. You've been a fantastic source of information and help not just to me but to others. I've just received the dispute form so will be sending that off today with the copies of correspondence I have. I also spoke to the helpline last night and amazing all these "new" overpayments have suddenly appeared on the system after I spoke to the payments team - funny that! I will now look at the link as advised. Thanks again you're a star and I'll keep you informed of what happens next!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tax Credit Casualties Forum © 2005-10 Tax Credit Casualties Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2