Tax Credit Casualties Forum
Tax Credit Casualties Forum
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Archive
 New Members Cases
 How to get out of the system
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

autumnmentia
Rank; Hector Tax Inspector

United Kingdom
13 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2010 :  09:14:23  Show Profile Send autumnmentia a Private Message
Well, it's time to renew again, my thoughts at the moment are I want out of the system! After the huge 50000+ debt I nearly ended up carrying till the end of never has left a huge insecure feeling.
I can't nor will I change the way I have to live to protect my children, I can't claim child maintenance from my ex husband and I feel that as long as I claim tax credits I will always be considering it a long term loan and worrying about paying it back.
When it gets to the point where I dread being paid on a friday I have to ask what am I doing putting myself through this.
I have got a better paid job and I am wrapping my business up till all stock is gone, so after working out the figures I could just manage to scrap by without taking the Inland Revenues money.
So how do I get out of it, if I understand correctly I have to fill in the renewal form to satisfy last year's payments but how do I stop them paying after they have received the forms back? I don't want to phone them, I have the facility to record calls but legally speaking I am not sure whether that would be a good idea.

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

Alan the Geordie
Admin

3032 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2010 :  13:54:25  Show Profile Send Alan the Geordie a Private Message
<< I have the facility to record calls but legally speaking I am not sure whether that would be a good idea. >>

Sod the legality - or otherwise - when dealing with this bunch of bandits you need to protect yourself - by fair means or foul.

"The best way to take control over a people and control them utterly is to take a little of their freedom at a time, to erode rights by a thousand tiny and almost imperceptible reductions.

In this way the people will not see those rights and freedoms being removed until past the point at which these changes cannot be reversed."

Adolf Hitler
Go to Top of Page

splashin
Rank; Really should become a politician

Belize
730 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2010 :  14:10:35  Show Profile Send splashin a Private Message
Hi autumnmentia

Leaving the Tax Credit System, can only be achieved by changes to your eligibility. For example, you children started living with their father. If you do want to leave the system, then I will advise you that should you have any overpayment on your account which is currently being recovered cross year, will become a direct debt, should you no longer have a claim. As long as your children remain living with you until they reach 16 yrs (18 yrs if still in FTE) then you have a right to these credits as long as your income doesn't supersede the higher threshold. These fears you have of the tax credit system failing you, can be overcome by giving up to date accurate changes to TCO as and when they occur.

Splashin
Go to Top of Page

Alan the Geordie
Admin

3032 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2010 :  14:33:49  Show Profile Send Alan the Geordie a Private Message
<< These fears you have of the tax credit system failing you, can be overcome by giving up to date accurate changes to TCO as and when they occur. >>

AND BY SENDING EVERYTHING BY RECORDED DELIVERY & KEEPING COPIES OF EVERYTHING YOU SEND TO THEM.

WHEN CALLING THEM BY TELEPHONE, BACK-UP EVERYTHING THAT WAS SAID IN A LETTER & SEND THAT TO THEM TOO - BY RECORDED DELIVERY.

LEAVE NOTHING TO CHANCE - ALWAYS ASSUME THAT WHATEVER THEY ATTEMPT THEY WILL BALLS IT UP.

ONLY WHEN YOU ADOPT THIS MENTALITY, CAN YOU BE REASONABLY SAFE.

Of course, you could just not bother with them!!

"The best way to take control over a people and control them utterly is to take a little of their freedom at a time, to erode rights by a thousand tiny and almost imperceptible reductions.

In this way the people will not see those rights and freedoms being removed until past the point at which these changes cannot be reversed."

Adolf Hitler
Go to Top of Page

splashin

Belize
730 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2010 :  16:01:23  Show Profile Send splashin a Private Message
Hi autumnmentia
Just found this posted by Ali
You must be logged in to see this link.

Withdrawing claims

Claimants now have the power to withdraw tax credit claims at the annual review stage if they wish. The claimant can specify that the annual declaration is not to be treated as a renewal claim from 6 April in the new tax year. This may be useful to some higher income groups with nil awards who want to stop receiving paperwork, but anyone else who chooses to do this will be losing money to which they should be entitled. Claimants who have suffered due to overpayments or bad experiences with tax credits should not give up their entitlement just because of the poor administration of the system. An alternative is to provide an over-estimate of current year income and wait until the end of the tax year when actual income is known to receive any tax credits due.

Splashin
Go to Top of Page

autumnmentia

United Kingdom
13 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2010 :  05:00:29  Show Profile Send autumnmentia a Private Message
Thanks for your replies. There is no overpayment now. Senior Compliance I understand got involved.

Thank you for the link, I understand it, however my only concern is they have started paying for 2010/2011. I haven't received a renewal notice or any other communication from them. So if I do that I am looking at paying back what I have had so far this year and any money paid until I receive the forms?
I had the "right to claim" conversation at work the other night, and I just couldn't get across that money isn't the be all of everything. Happiness is though!
The manager I was talking to thought I was nuts. If the truth be known I don't think I had ever been so depressed and stressed as I was whilst going through that, it just isn't worth it.
I think what I will do when the renewal forms come through is write a letter ending the claim on the date that I send the forms back, send them by special delivery after photocopying everything and go from there.
Go to Top of Page

Alan the Geordie
Admin

3032 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2010 :  12:16:23  Show Profile Send Alan the Geordie a Private Message
<< I think what I will do when the renewal forms come through is write a letter ending the claim on the date that I send the forms back, send them by special delivery after photocopying everything and go from there. >>

And maybe write to your MP telling him/her exactly what you think of Gordon Brown's "flagship" ??

Adolf Hitler
Go to Top of Page

autumnmentia

United Kingdom
13 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2010 :  09:32:19  Show Profile Send autumnmentia a Private Message
He already knows!! In fact I sent him a further email suggesting that all childcare invoices be supplied to the Inland Revenue to prevent false book keeping every 6 mths similar to the old system that worked alot better than the current system. I didn't get a response to that email.
He is Conservative so made me wonder why.
It isn't just this I am so bitter about....I can't even make my ex husband provide financial support through the CSA, if he appeals which lets face it he will....their computer will automatically give him my address, rendering the no contact order, change of identity and our current living arrangements useless. Cafcass have said they will supoort me in a court order against the CSA but again, not worth the risk is it? The ironic thing about all this is had I killed a child I would have been provided with a new identity instead of having to do it by myself, I would have been provided with somewhere to live, and quite possibly a job and anything else they give.
Angry? Bitter? You're damn right I am, and there is nothing I can do about it other than remove the things I can change and Tax Credits is one of those things.
I know I am ranting, but better on here than in front of my children.
Go to Top of Page

splashin

Belize
730 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2010 :  08:59:39  Show Profile Send splashin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by autumnmentia

Thanks for your replies. There is no overpayment now. Senior Compliance I understand got involved.

Thank you for the link, I understand it, however my only concern is they have started paying for 2010/2011. I haven't received a renewal notice or any other communication from them. So if I do that I am looking at paying back what I have had so far this year and any money paid until I receive the forms?
I had the "right to claim" conversation at work the other night, and I just couldn't get across that money isn't the be all of everything. Happiness is though!
The manager I was talking to thought I was nuts. If the truth be known I don't think I had ever been so depressed and stressed as I was whilst going through that, it just isn't worth it.
I think what I will do when the renewal forms come through is write a letter ending the claim on the date that I send the forms back, send them by special delivery after photocopying everything and go from there.

Hi Autumnmentia
Yes you are correct about any monies paid for this tax year (I think). If you do cancel your claim you might owe TCO some money from payments you have had so far, I am not 100% sure about this, as this is quite new rule, which has been brought in regarding withdrawal of claim. You would have to take this up with the helpline, but they probably won't be able to answer you either.

I totally understand your reasons for not wishing to claim tax credits. Anyone, who is put under the spotlight by compliance, has to practically prove their innocence, because they are seen by TCO as guilty from the start. And also from others who have also been through investigations, all have told me, how they were made to feel like a fraud by TCO compliance. Which would not be nice for anyone to be labeled with, especially if you are and have always been fully compliant.
I am also on the same side of the manager, with regards to thinking you would be crazy not to take the credits, especially being a single parent. I know what we say will not reassure you to carry on claiming, because you believe, there will come a time when TCO say HEY !! That money we paid you over the years, we now want it back. And you are worried you will not be in any position to repay.
I am not a fortune teller, so I can't predict what may occur in the future with your claim. The only thing I suggest you do, is to open up a high interest account, have any credits paid into this and leave it in there. Then should an overpayment occur, the money is there to re-pay. Should an overpayment not occur when the claim finishes, then your children will have nice lump sums to look forward too. If you have say 5 years left to be eligible to claim, just getting the family element (545) would mean you would have 2725 total. The family element can be claimed by anyone with children who's income does not go above 50,000.00 per year.
I would also like to say, it is very rare that you would be investigated by compliance again, they went through ALL your details, accounts, personal details last time and found nothing. Which shouts out to me you are not a fraudulent person because if you were believe me they would have found out.

The decision is your's after all, but please have a re-think.

Splashin
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tax Credit Casualties Forum © 2005-10 Tax Credit Casualties Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2