Tax Credit Casualties Forum
Tax Credit Casualties Forum
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 3rd Sector
 News from CPAG
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ali M-W

3558 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  13:16:28  Show Profile Send Ali M-W a Private Message
Courtesy of Paula:

Some new info from CPAG......

Tax credits news

New overpayments leaflet for advisers

The Revenue has produced a new 15-page leaflet to download for advisers dealing with tax credits overpayments. How HMRC handle tax credit overpayments provides more details on how the code of practice on overpayment recovery (COP26) operates and includes examples of letters sent and an income and expenditure form used by the Revenue. The leaflet clarifies and consolidates recent statements and changes in practice from various meetings and guidance manuals and also contains some useful new information.

If an appeal is made against a decision which created an overpayment, then any recovery action will be suspended until the outcome of the appeal is known.

If recovery of an overpayment is disputed, then any recovery action will be suspended until the case has been considered.

Claimants who contact the Revenue because they do not understand why they have an overpayment will get a written explanation.

If a claimant cannot afford the reduction in payments from an ongoing award (at the set limits of 10%, 25%, or 100%) they should contact the Revenue to work out a reasonable amount.

Someone who is paying back one overpayment from an ongoing award and another by direct recovery may ask for direct recovery to be suspended until the ongoing recovery has been completed.

The Revenue will only ask each person in a couple to repay a maximum of 50% of a joint overpayment, although they may agree a different split between themselves.

Time to pay of 12 months is offered as standard, but the Revenue can negotiate a longer repayment period of up to three years.

Someone who needs longer than three years to pay will have to complete a form with details of their income and outgoings. Amounts for housekeeping, phone, travel and other expenditure are accepted if within the average figures shown on page 7 of the leaflet.

In most cases where there are mental health issues, a letter from a health care professional or mental health social worker explaining the problem will be sufficient to relieve a claimant from responsibility for payment.

Don't have a link to post for you at present. The final paragraph is worth noting.

Morpheus: I'm trying to free your mind, Neo. But I can only show you the door. You're the one that has to walk through it.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tax Credit Casualties Forum © 2005-10 Tax Credit Casualties Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2
Powered by ForumCo 2000-2008
TOS - AUP - URA - Privacy Policy