Tax Credit Casualties Forum
Tax Credit Casualties Forum
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Tax Credit Overpayments
 Success
 SOMEONE PLEASE HELP -URGENT!!
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

2 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2009 :  11:48:48  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Can anyone please help me. Today (whilst i was at work) my mum opened my front door to woman claiming to be from the tax credits. Even though she had no ID despite being asked she left a letter addressed to me. My mum phoned me at work to tell me and i asked her to open the letter. She is infact a baliff!! She is here to recover an overpayment debt of 684 from an overpayment that was supposedly made back in 2003/2004 when I was then married. I have known about this 'overpayment' and my ex husband and I have always disputed it and have told the tax credit people this time and time again. I even completed and posted a dispute form a couple of years ago. This rears its ugly head every couple of years and is not consistent in any communication. They have made a serious mistake in our case and I totally totally will not pay it as its their mistake. I have a whole filing cabinet full of the awards notices that they had to correct, sometimes sending me out half a dozen in one day!! Why have they now come to me in the form of a baliff! Why havent they gone to my ex husband aswell. PLEASE HELP ME - I AM SO WORRIED ABOUT THIS. I am a single part time working mum of a 10 year old girl. I do everything by the book and nothing untoward or fraudulant. However I refuse to pay for something that is not my fault, despite the fact that I cant pay it. I HAVE UNTIL TOMORROW TO ADDRESS THIS APPARANTLY. PLEASE GIVE ME SOME ADVICE - ANYONE.
Thank you

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

Ali M-W
Mod

3558 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2009 :  06:47:03  Show Profile Send Ali M-W a Private Message
Hi Traceyb. That's shocking. I don't know the answer - although we are trying to find this for you now. All I would suggest is to follow the advice given for Stopping Court Cases - please see here. You must be logged in to see this link. I feel you really must get your MP involved on this one.

Do you have access to any legal help? Are you in a trade union? They have Welfare Officers and lawyers.

Otherwise, try the Low Incomes Tax Reform Group or Child Poverty Action Group as you have a child. CPAG certainly have lawyers. I think CPAG's is Sarah Clarke.

This nonsense has to be stopped. We could, of course, go to Stephen Timms from the Treasury - who still maintains that the system is fair - or Dave Hartnett, in charge of tax and tax credits at HMRC - who wants injustices pointed out to him - but these men are dragging their heels in meeting with us.

You could take this to a major newspaper, of course. Tell them you are a Tax Credit Casualty and they may also come to us for a comment.

There are things you can do. Try everything you can think of. Don't wait.

And warn your Mum not to let any callers in apart from family and friends!

Good luck!

Morpheus: I'm trying to free your mind, Neo. But I can only show you the door. You're the one that has to walk through it.
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
Rank; Captain Gordon

247 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2009 :  08:42:30  Show Profile Send Sarah a Private Message
Hi Traceyb

Ali has given some very good advice above and I will also try and help you if I can, but I need a little bit more information. You say in your post that you have until Friday to address this - is that because a summons has been issued or because the bailiff is coming back? Can you email me on Sarah@taxcc.org to tell me what the letter said? Alternatively you can phone me on ---------- after 1pm. Sorry I won't be able to answer the phone in the morning as I will be in meetings at work.

If the bailiff is coming back on Friday - DO NOT answer the door. Keep the door closed and locked all day. My understanding is that bailiffs are allowed to enter property if invited in or if a door is open, but cannot force their way in (although there is a grey area around what could count as intimidation to gain entry). So keep the door closed and locked and pretend to be out. Better yet, be out all day.

Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

2 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2009 :  09:45:23  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Thank you both for your responses. I called the lady who left the letter this morning and told her that I was disputing this and had been for years. I also told her that I had sent a dispute form of years ago with no response and that since then I have had no reply to my correspondence. I also told her that due to that and it being all those years ago I assumed that this matter was justly cleared and that this was an end to it. I asked her what I should do and she said that I should raise the dispute AGAIN and I have until next Friday to do so to which the HMRC will respond to me within 6 weeks. If I dont hear from them I need to call them and find out whats happening.

I cannot believe I have to go through this all over again. It is very stressful and I didnt sleep last night at all worrying over it. Even though I know its their mistake and we (my ex husband and I)did not act in any fraudulant or underhanded way I cant help but worry over it as its THEM that we are up against and THEY have all the power and legal jargon behind them which makes this very intimidating. Who am I to take on THESE powerful people. They are so corrupt themselves that I find it unbelievable that they threaten and intimidate innocent people who work hard for their children and to keep their heads above water. I refuse to let this go and will fight it.

The lady was from the HMRC DEBT RECOVERY TEAM in Peterborough. All the letter stated was to contact her before today (which I did this morning) otherwise legal proceeding would be started. So in answer to your question - no legal proceedings have started yet.

What do I do now? Shall I complete the form again and send it off. God it was soooooo long ago. I have a file as thick as the Old Testament. I would appreciate your guidance as to how to approach this and what is my next step, bearing in mind she has given me till next Friday to get my dispute letter to them.

I dont think I am entitled to Legal Aid as my mortgage payments are not high enough so I have been told?? I had to see a solicitor recently regarding contact between my daughter and her father (lack of on his part) and she told me that I couldnt get legal aid.

I am most grateful to you both for taking the time to acknowledge my cry for help. Maybe this country would be better off if it was run by people like you huh!!

Thank you
Tracey
Go to Top of Page

Ali M-W
Mod

3558 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2009 :  10:03:48  Show Profile Send Ali M-W a Private Message
Hi Tracey. Thanks for the kind words! I am quickly coming to the conclusion that one of my dogs could do a better job of running the country than the current squatter at number ten (did we elect him? I don't think so!), but hopefully we won't have to ensure Gordonomics much longer. It's cetainly an inside-out world when banks and MPs are first in line to the trough whilst innocent people can be plunged into debt through no fault of their own, no greed or reckless financial speculation, and have to pay everything back because, supposedly, there is no money in the public purse. Probably because the banks and many of our elected representatives have helped themselves first.

The main thing being to stop this recovery, I think you now need to have a look at You must be logged in to see this link. and see where in the dispute process you think you are. It maybe wouldn't even hurt - as HMRC don't seem to have a clue how your overpayment arose in their mad haste to grab it back from you - to start at the beginning and make sure that HMRC pay attention to every detail, not fob you off with excuses.

We have an extra lifeline these days - not just the long process with lots of "lives" and the eventual chance of someone very slightly more independent (though still HMRC-employed and following their flawed rukes) such as the Adjudicator at the later stages... but the next election. If I were you, I would start asking your local MP and the Parliamentary candidates from the main (non-BNP) parties what exactly they will do to sort out the tax credit mess if (re)elected, and place your vote accordingly.

It's been said thousands of times to me that we will get a fairer, safer tax credit system once we get a new administration. I believe that to be true.

Good luck with your case!

Morpheus: I'm trying to free your mind, Neo. But I can only show you the door. You're the one that has to walk through it.
Go to Top of Page

Alan the Geordie
Admin

3032 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2009 :  14:29:48  Show Profile Send Alan the Geordie a Private Message
>> I would start asking your local MP and the Parliamentary candidates from the main (non-BNP) parties ....... <<

I think you'll find they are all the same!!

(just my view of course )

"The best way to take control over a people and control them utterly is to take a little of their freedom at a time, to erode rights by a thousand tiny and almost imperceptible
reductions. In this way the people will not see those rights and freedoms being removed until past the point at which these changes cannot be reversed."

Adolf Hitler
Go to Top of Page

Alan the Geordie
Admin

3032 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  14:43:09  Show Profile Send Alan the Geordie a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ali M-W

Hi Tracey. Thanks for the kind words! I am quickly coming to the conclusion that one of my dogs could do a better job of running the country than the current squatter at number ten (did we elect him? I don't think so!), but hopefully we won't have to ensure Gordonomics much longer. It's cetainly an inside-out world when banks and MPs are first in line to the trough whilst innocent people can be plunged into debt through no fault of their own, no greed or reckless financial speculation, and have to pay everything back because, supposedly, there is no money in the public purse. Probably because the banks and many of our elected representatives have helped themselves first.

The main thing being to stop this recovery, I think you now need to have a look at You must be logged in to see this link. and see where in the dispute process you think you are. It maybe wouldn't even hurt - as HMRC don't seem to have a clue how your overpayment arose in their mad haste to grab it back from you - to start at the beginning and make sure that HMRC pay attention to every detail, not fob you off with excuses.

We have an extra lifeline these days - not just the long process with lots of "lives" and the eventual chance of someone very slightly more independent (though still HMRC-employed and following their flawed rukes) such as the Adjudicator at the later stages... but the next election. If I were you, I would start asking your local MP and the Parliamentary candidates from the main (non-BNP) parties what exactly they will do to sort out the tax credit mess if (re)elected, and place your vote accordingly.

It's been said thousands of times to me that we will get a fairer, safer tax credit system once we get a new administration. I believe that to be true.

Good luck with your case!

Another myth has been well & trully busted!!

"The best way to take control over a people and control them utterly is to take a little of their freedom at a time, to erode rights by a thousand tiny and almost imperceptible reductions.

In this way the people will not see those rights and freedoms being removed until past the point at which these changes cannot be reversed."

Adolf Hitler
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tax Credit Casualties Forum © 2005-10 Tax Credit Casualties Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2