Tax Credit Casualties Forum
Tax Credit Casualties Forum
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Archive
 Campaigning Section
 SAMPLE MP LETTER
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ali M-W
Mod

3558 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2009 :  09:12:49  Show Profile Send Ali M-W a Private Message
Here's a sample MP letter to help in writing your own:

Your Name
House,
Street,
Town,
Post Code
Phone Number

MPs Name
House of Commons,
London,
SW1A 0AA

16th March 2009

Dear

I am concerned about the harsh recovery of non-fraudulent tax credit overpayments and how HMRC still acts as judge and jury in its own cause, insisting claimants are at fault when all evidence (held by HMRC) proves otherwise.

This affects me because I have been served demands for recovery of an overpayment when I know I have nothing wrong, which is stressful and upsetting. I enclose a copy of my recent letter to HMRC, and hope you will also write to them asking that this alleged overpayment is written off.

The problem with this system is that it is over-complex and relies on claimants to spot errors made by officials. If officials cannot prevent or spot these errors, how can claimants? The system also assumes that if we are incorrectly paid, we will have the money available years later. It costs far more to pursue and recover non-fraudulent overpayments from the innocent poor than it does simply to write them off.

I would be grateful if you could raise my concerns with the Chancellor Alistair Darling, as he is responsible for Tax Credit policy.

Please could you also consider supporting the work of the National user group Tax Credit Casualties, to which I belong, in the following ways:

Letting constituents affected by tax credit recovery demands know about this group.
Advertising a link to You must be logged in to see this link. on your own website.
Raising and signing (ideally cross-party) Early Day Motions supporting a write off of all non-fraudulent overpayments.
Asking Freedom of Information questions about the cost effectiveness of pursuing recovery.
Initiating and supporting debates in the House.
Contributing to campaign funds for the Tax Credit Casualties.
Using Tax Credit Casualties as a resource.
Asking Alistair Darling to meet with representatives from the Tax Credit Casualties as a consultation exercise.

Please let me know what actions you are taking towards a safer, fairer tax credit system.

If you would like further information on these issues, please visit You must be logged in to see this link. .

Yours sincerely
Your Name

Please vote to bring our 'Justice is an Amnesty' campaign to the government’s attention, and ask all your friends to do the same!

You must be logged in to see this link.

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

Ali M-W
Mod

3558 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2009 :  09:15:18  Show Profile Send Ali M-W a Private Message
Best to vary it a bit so that the letters don't just get overlooked, but if you could include the "request" points in some way, that would be grand.

Good luck!

Please vote to bring our 'Justice is an Amnesty' campaign to the government’s attention, and ask all your friends to do the same!

You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tax Credit Casualties Forum © 2005-10 Tax Credit Casualties Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2