Tax Credit Casualties Forum
Tax Credit Casualties Forum
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Archive
 Campaigning Section
 What I’ve done to support TaxCC recently
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ali M-W
Mod

3558 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2009 :  07:56:34  Show Profile Send Ali M-W a Private Message
Not my idea, but something we've discussed but not yet actioned... I thought it time to start a new thread, so we can all prove to Alan just how hard we are all working on behalf of the Tax Credit Casualties! (He thinks it's just a few of us doing all the work, but I really do believe we've got some really hardworking supporters "out there" who are keeping quiet and modest about all the things they have been doing...)

Whether you have recruited friends to sign our new Labourspace campaign at You must be logged in to see this link.
(we are currently in second place but need to take the top spot), raised funds through a tabletop sale, got your MP to promote You must be logged in to see this link. on her or his website and to affected constituents and request a debate, written to Financial Secretary to the Treasury Stephen Timms asking him to meet with us, managed to get your local CAB office or GP surgery to put up a poster about us, posted details about our campaign on another forum you belong to, got a letter published in a newspaper telling others about us, or whatever it is - it would be good to hear!

Often good news goes unrecognised. And as the saying goes, if we're not part of the solution, we are part of the problem!

Let's congratulate ourselves on what we are achieving, motivate ourselves to do even more, and make 2009 the year that tax credit injustices become history!

Thanks. Now over to you...

Trinity: No one has ever done anything like this.
Neo: That's why it's going to work.

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

Alan the Geordie
Admin

3032 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2009 :  06:49:24  Show Profile Send Alan the Geordie a Private Message
The silence is deafening.

"The best way to take control over a people and control them utterly is to take a little of their freedom at a time, to erode rights by a thousand tiny and almost imperceptible
reductions. In this way the people will not see those rights and freedoms being removed until past the point at which these changes cannot be reversed."

Adolf Hitler
Go to Top of Page

Ali M-W
Mod

3558 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2009 :  07:52:11  Show Profile Send Ali M-W a Private Message
Indeed it is, Alan. Indeed it is.

In hopes of leading a few more horses to water and encouraging them to drink, I've written another letter which folk reading this can easily copy, adapt and send to their MPs. Okay, perhaps you're reading this and thinking, my MP is probably more concerned with coming up with a plausible excuse for "flipping" his first and second homes too many times, forgetting that she couldn't claim a new bathroom and flatscreen TV on expenses, or claiming for a non-existent mortgage to worry about her/his constituents tax credit plight. But if you don't try, how will you know? It's here:

You must be logged in to see this link.).

Whilst recognizing the good intentions behind the tax credit system and how it can help families, we are deeply concerned about the hardship and distress caused by the recovery of tax credits year on year since the scheme began in 2003, with claimant poverty compounded by the recent recession.

We want all non-fraudulent overpayments immediately written off. It damages public confidence in our political system when MPs can justify excessive expenses and “home-flip” and mortgage irregularities as accidents whilst ordinary, hardworking citizens suffer grave injustices in the “guilty until proven innocent” culture the Treasury adopts towards us.

Without an amnesty, requests to re-examine overpayment cases will continue to swamp Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC) for years to come. Enforced recovery is neither just nor economical.

We see a huge loss of public confidence in tax credits, which urgently needs to be restored. Latest reports suggest that a massive £4.24 billion in tax credits goes uncollected each year – more than enough to fund a full write-off. Costs saved in pursuing the innocent indebted can be redirected to system overhaul, and a reliable system will restore public confidence far better than expensive campaigns.

HMRC has seen huge data losses, radical structural reorganization, and a huge backlog of unopened post and complaints. Chasing the already-poor to recover non-fraudulent overpayments only detracts from urgent work in creating a safer, fairer system.

Parliamentary Ombudsman Ann Abraham has previously recommended a write-off all overpayments resulting from official errors. This has also been supported by the Child Poverty Action Group, Citizens Advice, Low Incomes tax Reform Group and cross-party MPs. UNISON has supported our Motion 100 urging a government amnesty.

The two-way link between poverty and mental health cannot be ignored, with poverty and mental distress bringing huge social and welfare costs.

Please support us. We need this Amnesty urgently now.

Morpheus: I'm trying to free your mind, Neo. But I can only show you the door. You're the one that has to walk through it.
Go to Top of Page

Ali M-W
Mod

3558 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2009 :  08:15:49  Show Profile Send Ali M-W a Private Message
Here's what Jenni's just done - copied from another thread:

Has anyone else seen the ad HMRC are currently running re renewing child tax credit claims??? It is glaringly incomplete.

I saw it for the 1st time this am (channel 5, in between Fifi & Peppa pig) and it states:

'Time is running out to renew tax credits. You need to renew by July the 31st or your payments WILL stop. You can do it easily by post or by phone. Either way you MUST renew by July the 31st. Tax credits from Revenue and customs. Renew NOW.'

If they're paying for a 20 second ad on national telly in a prime time family slot, they might as well have paid an extra few thousand more for 5 seconds of airtime to add:

'And we WILL want back ALL the money you got from April to July, and will stop at nothing to get it back from you. It will make you insane. Renew NOW'

This would be more accurate. Am currently draughting a letter to the Advertising Standards Authority about it as I am running out of people to complain to at HMRC.

This site is great by the way- thanks to all you volunteers who are always there to give advice.

Jenni

Morpheus: I'm trying to free your mind, Neo. But I can only show you the door. You're the one that has to walk through it.
Go to Top of Page

Ali M-W
Mod

3558 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2009 :  08:18:39  Show Profile Send Ali M-W a Private Message
Thanks also to F for his email. (He wrote a great letter to his MP.) And to those making donations to TCC campaign funds (even if the Royal Mail did manage to shred one recent letter containing a donation). We need your help to win this for all our sakes.

Go to Top of Page

Ali M-W
Mod

3558 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2009 :  08:20:00  Show Profile Send Ali M-W a Private Message
Here's a helpful link for anyone writing to their MP, Brown or Chancellor darling for an Amnesty. There's money in the kitty ready for this!

You must be logged in to see this link.

Go to Top of Page

Alan the Geordie
Admin

3032 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2010 :  22:32:42  Show Profile Send Alan the Geordie a Private Message
I've been writing to my MP recently and he's replied saying that he's a supporter of TCC.

I have asked him to ask some questions in the House of Commons about Tax Credit overpayments, and he's said he will do.

Now, let's see if he does!!

"The best way to take control over a people and control them utterly is to take a little of their freedom at a time, to erode rights by a thousand tiny and almost imperceptible reductions.

In this way the people will not see those rights and freedoms being removed until past the point at which these changes cannot be reversed."

Adolf Hitler
Go to Top of Page

Ali M-W
Mod

3558 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2010 :  20:40:45  Show Profile Send Ali M-W a Private Message
Thanks, Alan. I notice you've been getting new members to write to their MPs, and if we all played a part in this, we would probably cover every MP in Parliament and have them all asking questions in the House, raising EDMs, and writing to Chancellor Osborne and Economic Secretary to the Treasury, Justine Greening!

For anyone who wants a quick, easy letter to send off - you can find it here: You must be logged in to see this link.

Go to Top of Page

Alan the Geordie
Admin

3032 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2010 :  17:39:05  Show Profile Send Alan the Geordie a Private Message
I've had a letter back from Dave Anderson MP telling me that he's written on my behalf to George Osborne about Tax Credit recovery from folk who have mental health issues.

"The best way to take control over a people and control them utterly is to take a little of their freedom at a time, to erode rights by a thousand tiny and almost imperceptible reductions.

In this way the people will not see those rights and freedoms being removed until past the point at which these changes cannot be reversed."

Adolf Hitler
Go to Top of Page

Alan the Geordie
Admin

3032 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2010 :  18:53:33  Show Profile Send Alan the Geordie a Private Message
<< Thanks, Alan. I notice you've been getting new members to write to their MPs .... >>

I've been "inviting" new members to write to their MPs, I'm not at all sure that I've been "getting" them to write to their MPs which is an entirely different kettle of horses by another name.

Adolf Hitler
Go to Top of Page

Fazel
Rank; Hector Tax Inspector

United Kingdom
16 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2010 :  18:29:14  Show Profile Send Fazel a Private Message
I've managed to get 2 posters up today, one at the local nursery and one at the shop next door. I'll let u know of anymore things I manage to do in aid of the campaign. Power in thier masses!
Faye
Go to Top of Page

Alan the Geordie
Admin

3032 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2010 :  00:31:20  Show Profile Send Alan the Geordie a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Fazel

I've managed to get 2 posters up today, one at the local nursery and one at the shop next door. I'll let u know of anymore things I manage to do in aid of the campaign. Power in thier masses!
Faye

That's excellent!!

Thanks for doing that.

It's true to say that if everyone did just a little bit we could be a lot further forward in the campaign.

Adolf Hitler
Go to Top of Page

KerryM

13 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2010 :  07:29:57  Show Profile Send KerryM a Private Message
This is going to seem a daft question..

How do I find my MP?

I tried googling it to no avail. Going to bombard him/her with some letters.
Go to Top of Page

Ali M-W
Mod

3558 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2010 :  08:02:57  Show Profile Send Ali M-W a Private Message
Not at all.

I just put in "MP for Portsmouth North", and up mine popped!

Once you find the name, you'll soon find their official website, and they all seem to have a "Contact" page. Some boldly post their email addy for all to see, but with others, you may need to open a window and use their prescribed form. In that case, make your first contact friendly and bland, and you can always enter into a more spirited dialogue afterwards.

These days, with Brown's New Labour having been unceremoniously dumped out of office, you may even find your Labour MP keep to redeem her/himself and do something proactive for your case...

Go to Top of Page

Jo_B

34 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2010 :  08:44:07  Show Profile Send Jo_B a Private Message
it is probably easier now to get in contact with your MP as each one wants to be more been as current minded and use what media they can.
but this can back fire as if they do something bad then its easy to complain
Go to Top of Page

Alan the Geordie
Admin

3032 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2010 :  11:19:21  Show Profile Send Alan the Geordie a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by KerryM

This is going to seem a daft question..

How do I find my MP?

I tried googling it to no avail. Going to bombard him/her with some letters.

Try this bonny lass You must be logged in to see this link.

There's a window where you enter your postcode & up pops your MP's name etc.

There's also a facility to send him/her a message, and the kind folk who run the facility will contact you after a while to ask if your MP replied to your message!! VERY useful I think.

Adolf Hitler
Go to Top of Page

Fazel

United Kingdom
16 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2010 :  20:38:06  Show Profile Send Fazel a Private Message
I'm back again. I've been a busy little bee today. You may want to rally your troops in as there may well be a flurry of visitors after the weekend! I had to go to town today so I've got some more posters up; I gave my local housing benefit office a large poster as well as a leaflet so they can photocopy them to give as handouts, they said they will have to ask management, but it seems very positive. I asked in the local housing association office and got the OK from them, they will put it up on Tuesday after the bank holiday and make photocopies of the leaflets for handouts. The city Library will also put one up after it's been vetted. One of the public toilets has one
too.

I did ask in the Jobcentre but they said it would probably be a no from the manager due to the fact that they will only put up government endorsed posters! I tried the CAB office but they were closed by the time I got there, so I will go there with the posters when I'm passing through town next week. I'm also going to the dentist on Saturday so I'll ask there too. And when I'm next at the doctors and the hospital I'll try and remember to take one up there aswell.

I was quite suprised by the positive response, everyone who I asked to put posters up was very keen and very interested in our cause. Although I was a bit dissapointed with the Jobcentre. Once I've got enough confidence I may write to my MP, but that is a BIG step for me.

I'll keep you informed of my progress.

Faye
Go to Top of Page

Alan the Geordie
Admin

3032 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2010 :  00:28:08  Show Profile Send Alan the Geordie a Private Message
<< I did ask in the Jobcentre but they said it would probably be a no from the manager ... >>

I don't waste my time by asking them - I just dump a handful of leaflets on the tables amongst all the other leaflets on the tables where claimants tend to congregate.

Same trick at the doctors, dentists & hospital waiting rooms - I just leave a few amongst all the other magazines & leaflets.

Don't be too overawed by your MP - they're nothing special as was proved by the expenses scandal.

Adolf Hitler
Go to Top of Page

Fazel

United Kingdom
16 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2010 :  22:17:27  Show Profile Send Fazel a Private Message
Thanks Alan I will try my best. I'm going to get all my case file and myself organised before I make that big step with the MP. Thanks for the encouragement though.

Faye
Go to Top of Page

Alan the Geordie
Admin

3032 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2010 :  23:48:08  Show Profile Send Alan the Geordie a Private Message
quote:

Thanks Alan I will try my best. I'm going to get all my case file and myself organised before I make that big step with the MP. Thanks for the encouragement though.

Faye

No problem bonny lass & thanks for your contributions to the forum.

Adolf Hitler
Go to Top of Page

Alan the Geordie
Admin

3032 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2010 :  23:48:56  Show Profile Send Alan the Geordie a Private Message
quote:

Faye

No problem bonny lass & thanks for your contributions to the forum.

Adolf Hitler
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2  Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tax Credit Casualties Forum © 2005-10 Tax Credit Casualties Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2